• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you simply crop images (not talking about masking)?

Engaged ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Is there a way to work with images like Indesign? All I can find are time-consuming make/release mask options that don't allow you to adjust the image without releasing it from the mask - that I can see/find anyway.

In Indesign you can import, crop and adjust the crop in one step so is much faster than the Illustrator's masking paradigm.

Hope that makes sense.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

You can use our non-destructive mask with shape, which gives you excellent fidelity over your mask. You can adjust your mask by double clicking on the object.

Elaine Chao on Twitter: "#adobexd #protip "Mask with Shape" makes a transparent clip mask out of your shape. @adobexd ht…

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or has XD been created to link together designs created in other apps? Not sure.

I use InDesign and Illustrator every day but was expecting XD to work more like InDesign because it's a similar workflow. We use Photoshop for images, Illustrator for graphics and XD is where you'd assemble everything with text/content and UI - that's the complete user experience right?

At least it is for my work - the content is integral to the design and experience. After all, it's the content that keeps visitors coming back and it's the thing Google rewards everyone on.

Anyway, I realise there are loads of people who love using Illustrator for everything but I'm a bit confused by XD sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like this? Image repositioning within auto-mask (drag into a shape) – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bu...

If this is not what you are looking for, create a feature request on the page to register it.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2017 Mar 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use our non-destructive mask with shape, which gives you excellent fidelity over your mask. You can adjust your mask by double clicking on the object.

Elaine Chao on Twitter: "#adobexd #protip "Mask with Shape" makes a transparent clip mask out of you...

-Elaine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a really cool feature. Where is this "Mask with Shape" feature? It looks like you have an ellipse over a picture, then select the picture behind it, then somehow a square selection is around the ellipse, and then it just masks the image into the ellipse.

In the Adobe Experience Design CC (Beta) application, I have not found any option anywhere that says "Mask" anything.

Also, as the original I want to simply crop a picture in an artboard to fit. I don't want to resize or stretch. If a mask feature is available some where in the application I see how you could achieve something similar to cropping, but the main reason I want to crop an image is due to its position it is outside the bounds of the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2017 Jun 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out yesterday and the answer was very easy, I just didn't have both selected at the same time was the issue. You have to have the picture and your shape both selected and then right click either and in the right click menu there will now be a new option of "Mask with Shape" available to select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a real shame XD incorporates features in an Illustrator-like way. Masking to a shape is a useful tool but cropping an image is something we do hundreds of times per day.

If you use InDesign's paradigm, then your image is masked as soon as it's imported, no need for make/release.

Just because many in our industry use Illustrator for everything (and champion these sorts of feature requests) doesn't make them right. A few of us have spent decades re-traiining people to use the right tool for the job, more leadership from Adobe is required here. Layers in XD is another area which should've been implemented using InDesign's paradigm.

Illustrator is primarily for vector illustrations while InDesign is primarily for layout and design. When designing a website, we're primarily engaged in layout and design. Therefore, it makes much more sense for XD to work like InDesign, not Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See this forum post Weekly Challenge - Crop objects and images using Masking​ where the possibilities of masking have been explained in detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came to this thread looking for a simple way to crop an image around the sides. Honestly, the quickest way I have found to do this is

1. to simply take a screenshot clip of the desired crop.
  2. When the result of the screenshot popup, copy the image to your clipboard, and paste it into Adobe XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines