• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add depth to repeat grids using 3D transforms

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repeat grids help you quickly apply 3D effects to multiple sequential objects simultaneously. You can later ungroup the grid and apply perspective to individual objects to create interesting visual effects.

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 4.29.58 PM.png

Preran_0-1602124901489.png

Let’s try to create something like the image above. Notice how the pictures seem to lift off the background while still being chained to a two-dimensional space. I took less than 5 minutes for this creation, and I am not even an expert.

For this graphic, I have used just three of Adobe XD’s major features: Shadows, Repeat Grids, and 3D transforms

1.    Create a background layer and apply a fill color

•  For this design, I have used #49523F as the fill color to ensure a sharp contrast for the shadows.

2.   Draw diagonal parallel lines (Optional)

• I used the lines to off-center the images for visual distraction, but you can choose to omit this step if you want to.

3.   Draw a rectangle and rotate it such that the edges are parallel to the diagonal lines.

Preran_1-1602124901490.png

4.    Apply a drop shadow to the rectangle and move it above one of the lines.

5.   With the rectangle selected, click Repeat Grid in the Properties Inspector. Drag the handles to create additional rectangles to the right and bottom.

Preran_2-1602124901490.png

6.   With the Repeat Grid option selected, click the 3D transforms (cube icon) in the Property inspector. Use the handles in the center to provide a perspective to the grid.

7.    Insert pictures into the grid

• Open the plug-ins panel and install the plug-in UI faces.
  • Double-click a rectangle in the grid, and using UI faces, insert pictures into the created rectangles.

In my second attempt, while recreating this tutorial, this is what I came up with.

Preran_3-1602124901493.png

I would love to see what you came up with. Share your creations by replying to this post.

Now, try this: Recreate the example above while maintaining the size of the rectangles in the final output. Were you able to do it? Reply to this post to share your output and how you managed to retain the size.

TOPICS
Design , Prototyping

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?