• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add ruler guides?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for somewhere in Experience Design where I can create and drag horizontal and vertical guides around the page. I use this alot in photoshop for designing interfaces. e.g. I want to design to a 1140px container with a three column grid inside with gutters, and horizontal guides to align my type. Is there some kind of layout/guide/grid tool that I am missing? Other than that 'grid' tool that draws repeated squares all over the artboard - this doesn't allow for guides and rulers like what I am looking for.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Adobe XD doesn't have a way to create real guides yet. You can add your vote for that feature here: Guides – Adobe XD Feedback

In the meantime though, you can closely approximate guides this way: create regular Line objects and then lock them so you can't accidentally move or select them.  Other objects will snap to these lines just like guides.  The only trick is, if you ever need to export the whole artboard, you'll have to manually hide these lines so they're not included in the exported imag

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe XD doesn't have a way to create real guides yet. You can add your vote for that feature here: Guides – Adobe XD Feedback

In the meantime though, you can closely approximate guides this way: create regular Line objects and then lock them so you can't accidentally move or select them.  Other objects will snap to these lines just like guides.  The only trick is, if you ever need to export the whole artboard, you'll have to manually hide these lines so they're not included in the exported image (you can multi-select them in the Layers panel and then use Object > Hide to toggle all of them at once).

Hope that helps!

- Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I can expect to add option guidelines Layout?

— Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Minimum viable product being redefined? Medieval stuff guys, this is the bare minimum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a bootstrap guidelines by hand (rectangles)

I positioned them in front of the layout but when I try to move elements, I can´t.

Even the guidelines is locked.

Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking forward to guides being added - yes a basic requirement but on the whole, XD is a MASSIVE timesaver so can live with it for now.

Work around as suggested - draw your grid using lines - they can be positioned exactly, by using the right hand property panel for x and y co-ordinates. Once you are happy with it, save them as a symbol so they can be used everywhere. Alternatively, create them in Illustrator (quicker using duplicate) and paste it in.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you can draw 2 lines (horizontal or vertical) and set them as a "Repeat grid" to very quickly draw a grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waiting for this too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2018 Jul 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original reply was in 2016. Any updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will XD have rulers and guides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sketch user here! Trying to give XD a fair shot. Here are two major annoyances that I've discovered so far:

• Give users a way to organize assets.
  • Allow guides to be pulled from any side of an artboard (or better yet, just ad rulers)

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you take a look at the Assets panel (for styles, colors, themes, components) and/or the Adobe CC Libraries ?

You can set up one or more artboards to serve as style guides.

And did you notice the somewhat lighter area flashing when you move your cursor away from an artboard ? That's the ruler, the guide's source ! I know, it's bit of a hidden gem, until know it. But having rulers alongside every artboard would become a visual nuisance, I guess. How does Sketch handle this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I know about the guides. But as far as I can tell, they only work on the top / left sides of the artboards. Not particulary useful when the edges are off screen. Sketch has rulers that are very similar to illustrator, photoshop etc... Not a nuisance in the slightest.
  2. Asset organization is very limited in its current form, compared to Sketch. There's no grouping. For example, in Sketch, I can name something "button/primary" and have that automatcally placed in a group of buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the Adobe XD community and thanks for using Adobe XD. In addition to what Peter has said, we would also suggest checking these two article on the same:-

We really appreciate your opinion of adding the Rulers in XD, we'd like to inform you that the feature is already under review and the team is working on it. We'd suggest submitting your feedback here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/14160699-rulers

and upvote the request to add your voice. 

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

1. Asset management in XD is very rudimentary in its current form. I'd be happy with the simply ability to group assets together.
  2. Guides in XD arent good. The fix is simple. Look at Illustartor, Photoshop, or Sketch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for giving some insights on how Sketch deals with it. 🙂

I'm not a Sketch user, but I guess the XD team members know it.

I hope the team comes up with some fitting solutions to the points you make. Within the Adobe realm, they do try to be some kind of a renegade application (though taking a good look at Sketch). But while trying to be different, they sometimes miss the mark, or overshoot what's obvious. Like with zooming in on a selection, and creating or deleting multiple links (in the latest version)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Peter said, the team is aware of the improvements they have to make to these features and they are working on it. I suggest upvoting the relevant requests in Uservoice https://adobexd.uservoice.com/ to make your voice heard.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YAY!  I found out where the guides are..... just float your cursor on the edge of the artboard (left for vertical guides, top edge for horizontal) and you can pull in guidelines to your artboard... AWESOME!!!!!.   I still haven't found the rulers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great. You are able to use guides in XD. For rulers, we would suggest submitting your feedback here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/14160699-rulers and upvote the request to add your voice.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines