Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to justify the text in XD?

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

Is it possible to justify the text in Adobe XD?

Thank you

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to , Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

It's not possible in XD, and highly warned against in general for web and app design !

Most browsers are equiped with lousy hyphenation and justification algorithms, especially in many non-English languages. So text lines are wrapped in incorrect ways, rendering very illegible columns of text. Having justified text might look very straight and appealing, but from a reader's viewpoint, it's often a bad thing...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback. We have seen a similar request has been raised here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/16278061-full-just.... We would request you to please submit your feedback and upvote the request to add your voice.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not possible in XD, and highly warned against in general for web and app design !

Most browsers are equiped with lousy hyphenation and justification algorithms, especially in many non-English languages. So text lines are wrapped in incorrect ways, rendering very illegible columns of text. Having justified text might look very straight and appealing, but from a reader's viewpoint, it's often a bad thing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Peter_Villevoye, thanks for that explanation.

I'm new to typography, but I've seen a different kind of style where hyphens aren't used.  Instead, the spacing between each word is increased such that the final character of each line is right aligned.  Is this a different style of justification, or is there a different term for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are indeed several typographical settings available in text justification, both in print as in web media. E.g. in Adobe InDesign you can specify the desired and tolerated spacing between characters and/or words, and even allow horizontal character scaling as a method in the setting. These values can subtly alter the overall 'look' of a text, to make it appear more newspaper or magaine style.

In web design such CSS settings are also available:

https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_text-justify.asp

But as I said earlier in this discussion: due to lousy or even missing dictionaries, the algorithms of capable browsers perform a very rough or wrong hyphenation, leaving very large gaps (the space left by every wrapping whole word) to be spread over a text line. Maybe that's not such a big deal in English (which uses far more separated hence smaller words), but it looks horrible in many other languages.

And there's a more disturbing problem: most browser don't support any advanced justification settings:

https://caniuse.com/#search=text%20justify

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you under the impression that the entirety of users of XD strictly design for web browsers and apps? That seems a little narrow minded. There is nothing wrong with using justified text in a range of circumstances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We arestruggling with legal text at the end of our email marketing campaign designs. Font size is so small that no rivers are created even in 600px width canvas. I understand your point, and from user's perspective we should no use justified text on digital contexts, but every rule has an exception. What would you say if I tell my students to never use UPPERCASE becouse it's hard to read?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Puedes probar con este plugin que esta en version veta, me ha funcionado muy bien, saludos https://github.com/amirhosseinhpv/adobe-xd-justify-it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Justify does not favour English text in responsive design. However, it favours text such as Chinese, Korean. text which mixes with few numbers and english characters. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Villevoye I disagree. Adobe Xd has so many "convenience"-features, this would just add up perfectly. So many customers asked "why can't you justify it?" - and then i go back to Illustrator or Word. Really? Is that the answer? If customers demand it, there's no excuse to not implement it. This is a basic feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rationale of Justification being a convenience feature for the designer doesn't work for me. When I Google "web design justification text" the whole first page of results is filled with blogs, articles, and examples advising against the use of justified text. I know, Google often tries to offer results that fit a person's confimation bias, but I can't believe they've included this preference in my profile... 😉

So I think it's fair of the development team to prioritize other features and leave this request unfulfilled, in stead of spending a vast amount of resources on hyphenation algorithms and standard and custom vocabularies in 60+ languages, with the notion that it won't work properly in many browsers and websites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Villevoye Thanks for your response.

However, your answer will be strongly tied to a momentary "snapshot" of Google results regarding web dev/design. BTW: The original question is not specifically about web or app design.

Possible valid (technological) arguments for web are:

- Browsers are not ready yet

- Complex algorithms

- Different writing systems (latin, cyrillic, greek, arabic etc) result into different rules (adds complexity aswell)

Designer opinions on why it can be bad:

- Harder to read (for some people), e.g. "reading the next line" is more difficult when the lines are the same size/width.

- Difficult to control rhythm of letters and words

- "Just say “no” to justification" (really? That's a terrible argument, but I read it often)

Designer opinions on why it can be good:

- Justified layout of a textblock can provice structural harmony (where the content and the legibility is secondary)

- More artistic freedom in presenting a text

- Replicate the look and feel of magazines and newspapers (those are common, right?)

I'm not saying that this "list" is complete or anything. I understand the negative aspects, but I also understand every designer looking into this thread just desperatly wishing for this feature. This is not about "What should not or can not be done". It's more about "We want that feature", regardless of the technical hurdles.

It would increase the value of Adobe Xd imho.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your correct and kind reply. You've summed up the pros and cons very neatly.

This matter is being discussed at lentgh in some other threads and a UserVoice request. In one of them, contributors are even rallying against me for not endorsing their claim or understanding their wish.

I'm not advocating against text justification in general, but only explaining why I can relate to Adobe's attitude or even momentary inability (due to development constraints) to simply shove some half-baked algorithm into XD, slap another alignment button onto the panel, and call it a day. Would users be happy with another flawed solution like that List plugin ?

Let's wait for a better take on the whole text engine, Adobe has been promising (for a few years now...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lêu lêu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe team. This has been a frustration for such a long time, and it is quite unclear why you still exclude such a basic first level text alignment feature. Is it that it is super hard to include? It is a feature that is available on all other adobe software without the need for upvoting. How come it is not available in XD in the first place. XD is a briliant tool with such an unneccessary flaw. Please just fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry to burst your bubble, but XD is dead. Adobe is not investing in the product any more, so this feature will never be there. In fact you should probably look at other design /prototyping solutions for future work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines