• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to save XD document on Windows machine?

Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a windows user, for nearly 3 decades saving a file hasn't changed, and hasn't needed to change. Saving a file for the first time, or doing "save as" opens a window with a folder tree viewer, and you select the folder you are saving to, give the file a name, and that file saves in the folder you've selected. This is about the simplest, most intuitive non-mysterious way to make sure a file you've created is being saved where you intend for it to be saved to.

I do not understand what possesed Adobe app developers to solve this issue which was not broken. The new "save as" popup dialogue in XD looks uneditable and unclickable. Your only option is to either save or cancel. It's not intuitive that you can click the folder path to select a folder, plus it buries this feature under another user layer. When you're in the folder you intuit that you name your file and save it there, but no, you only use this layer to select a folder, or create a new folder. Then you back out and now how do you rename your file? Do you click on the file name? Oh, ok so I accidentally did and found I can edit the name there.

But wait, my cloud document folder is the folder on my computer which is synched to the cloud, do I save in the cloud documents folder and is that the folder localized on my machine, or is that the "cloud" (queue wavy hands of mysteriousness).

Seriously, way confusing, ambiguous, overly-complicated. Why, in what dimension of reality, was it deemed necessary to utterly disrupt this otherwise seriously banal, simple, and unbroken user interface? This new interface has caused me to lose files, like gone. Not in the cloud where they were supposedly saved, not on my local machine, just gone.

Adobe does best when it's inventing new things that haven't existed before. They fall terribly on their face when they try to fix something that just really really doesn't need fixing. Can you please just return to the old save file interface, please?

<The title was edited by moderator>

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry for the frustration. If I heard you right, it looks like you have hard time in saving the file in your machine? If yes, here is the screenshot of what you see when you do" Save As". Now in case you want to change the location of your file you can click on the folder icon as highlighted and change the location as per your choice.

clipboard_image_0.png

In order to rename the folder, you just need to click on the this icon as shown below:

clipboard_image_1.png

As soon as you click on the drop down arrow, you will see another dialog box to rename the document.

clipboard_image_2.png

For more info, please check out this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/xd/help/manage-work-cloud-documents.html#Createsaveandrenameclouddocument... and let us know if this helps you. We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You misunderstand the point - you've shown a multitude of steps spanning several different layers of interface, when all you need is the same simple interface you've used for decades on all your other products.

Why did Adobe change the simple file saving interface it's used for a couple decades now? This isn't easier to use, it's unclear, and at worst it risks losing files or unintentionally overwriting files that have already been created. It's a bad UI design and it's not working as intended. It's unclear to me why Adobe would choose this kind of file-saving user experience over what you do with Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We understand it could be annoying for you. We will make sure to forward the feedback to the team for making improvements in the future. 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This remains a massive issue - twice in the past week I've worked on an XD file, "saved" the file to my computer or on the cloud, only for it not to be there today when looking for them. That's hours of productivity that has been lost because your save format did not work.

This so massively unacceptable - what's the point of being able to save a file if the interface doesn't actually save the file?

Why on earth did you break something that was working fine up until now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

We’re currently seeing issues with some of our services that run on AWS. Our teams are working urgently to get back online as soon as possible. Stay tuned here for updates: https://adobe.ly/2xSSmlE also the XD links are down as well. Please see this post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/unable-to-view-the-xd-links-services-are-down-temporarily/td...

If the file is saved as a cloud documents, please see if you're able to see the file here: https://assets.adobe.com/cloud-documents after the outage is fixed and let us know if you continue the face issue.

The new "Save As" options available after XD 29 is been discussued here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/adobe-xd-saving-options-are-changed-after-xd-29/td-p/1114628...

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines