Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Import & Export]-Importing images for XD prototyping

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to import high res mobile comp images (exported from photoshop as PNG) purely for the purpose of mobile prototyping within XD. When I do this the prototype on my desktop looks fine but once I open the link on my mobile device it's slightly pixelated. The image size is 375x13000 and I know the the resolution is high enough etc. 

The only way around this issue that I've found is to cut the image up and save out (via photoshop as multiple PNGs) then stack them in XD...then the prototype looks fine. I've read a few support posts that suggest the file size height needs to be under 16000 ... which mine is. So I'm not quite sure why I can't just upload the single image into XD and get a clear graphic prototype.

Are there limitations with aspect ratio? Or am I doing something wrong?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Thank you for sharing the additional information and thank you Peter for testing and confirming that this an issue. I will share your feedback with the team. I would request you to please share a sample file with me so that I can log a bug for the issue. I'd also request you to please share the OS and XD version of your machine for more information on the bug.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear you are having trouble importing images in XD which got pixelated when opened the link on browser. Would you mind telling if it's happening with this specific file or with all the files? Have you tried it on a different mobile device? Which mobile device are you using? Have you tried to open the link on a different browser on mobile?

The above asked information will help us in investigating more about the issue so that we can check at our end.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for the response! Here are the responses to your questions:

Would you mind telling if it's happening with this specific file or with all the files?

This happened with all the files myself and a collague tried (different files for each project). I exported JPGs as well as PNGs from my photoshop file and imported them into XD where I then clicked the prototype link to share a faux mobile preview of a page of the site we're building. With JPGs and PNGs' the prototype was pixelated. 

Have you tried it on a different mobile device?

Yes, we've tried this on 3 different devices...all iphones from different models. Iphone 7 & 8.

Which mobile device are you using?

I'm personally using the iphone 7 plus.

Have you tried to open the link on a different browser on mobile?

No, we're all using the native safari browser from our Iphones. However, I tried chrome on my desktop and the issue persisted there as well.

Best,

Katie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Harshika - any advise or guidance on your end?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the additional information and thank you Peter for testing and confirming that this an issue. I will share your feedback with the team. I would request you to please share a sample file with me so that I can log a bug for the issue. I'd also request you to please share the OS and XD version of your machine for more information on the bug.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can imagine this behavior not per se being a bug – the triggered compression helps to bring down excessive image files, in order to speed up the downloading and rendering of a preview.

I have put up an XD file for previewing with Specs, so you can see the effect and also download the original images. https://xd.adobe.com/view/a7e1b3cf-ff65-4011-4198-40d089d56fd6-d1d0/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harishika,

Can you work with what Peter supplied you with (below)? The images I was using are not something I can share publically as they were for a client I'm working with under NDA and are sensative material. 

Here is my OS: Majave Version 10.14.6

Here is my XD version: 28.2.12.3 (Starter), Creative Cloud Sync 4.3.30.42

Thanks,

Katie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure. I will check and work with Peter to get the sense of what is happening.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested importing a rich-detailed PNG of 375 pixels wide and over 18,000 pixels high. The resulting image is a whopping 16 MB, so that should bring it down and really push some limits (saving the file and creating the link already took quite a while).

The preview was in deed horribly blurred, as you can see below. So my first guess (wrong) was that the file needed to be limited/compressed to a certain internal maximum file size, causing such a large image to look really bad.

Schermafbeelding 2020-03-24 om 23.21.45.png

As I cropped it to a few hundred pixels high, resulting in a much smaller file size, the result also immediately improved:

Schermafbeelding 2020-03-24 om 23.22.58.png

Then I changed the content of the 18,000 pixels high image to a very easy to compress painting (only 320 K file size), but the result became blurry again:

Schermafbeelding 2020-03-24 om 23.30.21.png

So my final verdict is that the height of the image counts, and will be scaled down (internally) to a certain maximum height, and scaled up again in the preview. How high that maximum is, could be detected by probing. But maybe some one from the team can simply report the exact number...

Judging by the enlarged comparison, I'd say it was scaled down to and up from less than a fourth, so maybe 4000 is the maximum ?

Schermafbeelding 2020-03-24 om 23.39.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter - thanks! this validates what I was running into as well. I second your comment about getting confirmation from Adobe of that pixel height if that's a limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines