Importing from Illustrator into Adobe XD

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to ask, if I have made a design in Illustrator for example a web page with many artboards, can I import all the elements in adobe xd or do I need to design them again inside the adobe xd? I tryed to do copy and paste from illustrator, it works but if I copy and paste a shape and a text the text doesn't work (is not active) it is like an image but I can not separate it from the shape.

I am looking forward for your answer

Thank you

Dionysia

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct Answers

Enthusiast , Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018
You can;t import directly a AI file, but you can do a couple of things:- Just copy the ai content and paste it to XD- Export the content as SVG or any image file from Illustrator using the Export for selection, then choose a format or multiple ones

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021
Hi All, Thanks for visiting this thread. I would like update this with the latest info- To open an Illustrator file in XD, do one of the following: - In XD, select File > Open. Navigate to the required folder, select an .ai file, and open in XD. You can also use the Cmd+O (Mac), or Ctrl+O (Windows) keyboard shortcuts. - Drag the Ai file over the XD icon (on Mac only). - Right-click the Illustrator file and select Open with > XD from the sub menu. Here’s a list of what’s supported and not s...

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can;t import directly a AI file, but you can do a couple of things:

- Just copy the ai content and paste it to XD

- Export the content as SVG or any image file from Illustrator using the Export for selection, then choose a format or multiple ones

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I am working on something similar and saw this discussion. I'm using Adobe CC.

So I am able to open my Ai files in XD and it imports correctly (all shapes and layers are intact).

However, the artboard size seems to be very different (Ai is bigger), even though I used the template of iPhone 6/7/8 in both softwares. When I try to scale the work so that it can fit the smaller artboard of XD, all sorts of stuff doesn't work (e.g. all line-thickness stays the same) and fixing that would be too much effort.

Do you have any idea, why the size difference and how I could easily fix that?

Cheers!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All,

Thanks for visiting this thread. I would like update this with the latest info-

To open an Illustrator file in XD, do one of the following:
- In XD, select File > Open. Navigate to the required folder, select an .ai file, and open in XD. You can also use the Cmd+O (Mac), or Ctrl+O (Windows) keyboard shortcuts.
- Drag the Ai file over the XD icon (on Mac only).
- Right-click the Illustrator file and select Open with > XD from the sub menu.

Here’s a list of what’s supported and not supported at this time: https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/kb/open-illustrator-files-in-xd.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshia

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines