Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inserting an external link in Xd

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to insert an external link to a button in Xd (a web site URL or an e-mail adres) and can't find the function. Is there an option to do that in Xd?

Please help!!

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Hi All,

Happy New Year!

The wait is over, with today's latest XD update, you can now create hyperlinks in XD. Please see this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/help/create-hyperlinks.html for more info.

Check out our What's new page for more feature updates.

Please update XD to 47 version and share your experience with us by creating separate posts on the related topics.

We will be happy to help. We appreciated your patience.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm after this feature as well. Using it to create a full-fledged website is a no-worry because even with external links what XD exports online is completely unsuitable to serve as a website and I'm surprised anyone would seriously think it was. What I need it for is a document that features screenshots of key templates of a website we're redesigning and I simply need to add a couple of buttons to each - one to a current live version of the page and one to our internal work in progress version of it. I tried Anima and it worked in preview but never managed to sync so I couldn't share it with my colleagues. It looks like I'll need to export it as a PDF and add links to it. This feels like such a basic feature and one that's been asked for for 4 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have trouble with the VERY BIG FILE SIZE of my prototypes. If I build one entire software prototype in just one XD file it will become very big, I'll start having trouble with my hardware witch get very slow on doing simple tasks. If I build 1 file for each feature or screen of my software and link them with a external link, this problem is solved. My files would become smaller and my computer would work fine without slowing on simple tasks like create a button our a card. 

I thnik nobody wanna build a software or a website in a PROTOTYPING tool, but the PROTOTYPING tool need solve simple questions like the need of build a BIG PROTOTYPE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, consider linking between different prototypes (different xd prototype urls). For example, adding a prototype ID as a destination value of a link.
Second, please consider enabling Add-ons to customise links, if you do not want to develop this as an official feature, let plugins care about that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing your ideas and feedback. I hope you have already upvoted the request and submitted your feedback and ideas to the UserVoice link.

I will also make sure to share your feedback with the team. I can see the status of the request is under review. Please stay tuned to the UserVoice page for updates.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very good way of thinking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have trouble with the VERY BIG FILE SIZE of my prototypes. If I build one entire software prototype in just one XD file it will become very big, I'll start having trouble with my hardware witch get very slow on doing simple tasks. If I build 1 file for each feature or screen of my software and link them with a external link, this problem is solved. My files would become smaller and my computer would work fine without slowing on simple tasks like create a button or a card. 

I thnik nobody wanna build a software or a website in a PROTOTYPING tool, but the PROTOTYPING tool need solve simple questions like the need of build a BIG PROTOTYPE. 

And look ... this is so easy! You already have something like that in Adobe AC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I thought of a simple way to make it seem like a link has been added. I used social media icons as jpg images (for example Pinterest) and linked from the social media icon to an external page by simply taking a screenshot of the external page (in this instance, my Pinterest page) and copy + pasted it to another artboard in xd. I found that if doing this, it is best to place the 'external link artboard' underneath your main work as this doesn't seem to interfere with the main body of work. 

Hope this helps 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump. I'm surprised this isn't a feature already... and also sadly unsurprised that this isn't implemented when there are 3 pages of requests already lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am frankly baffled as to why this is wasn't an MVP feature for a PROTOTYPING application. It would be like selling a phone which is capable of dialing numbers 2-9 but if you need 1 or 0... sorry you'll need a plugin for that.

I like Adobe products in general and I am not trying to come off as crass or rude. However, core feature holes such as this one, multi year response times, and the fact that components are still completely broken and unusable in a heavily marketed production build of XD are why Figma is going to eat your lunch in this vertical Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is top of my search results, and according to commenters, clearly isn't fixed.  The "correct answer" is linking to a feature request from FIVE years ago, still not implemented.  Sorry Adobe, I'm moving onto your competitors, as this is not the first lack of basic features I have come across, but it is the most obvious. Hyperlinking is literally the first and foremost element that made up the internet, and if you cannot see how important it is within a wireframing tool, you are missing out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figma is so much more useful, open, and intuitive to use. Plus you can do basic things such as hyperlinking. There is literally no reason at all to use XD. I would even go so far as to say that using XD is a career risk due to lack of basic features, broken features etc. One could ask the XD product teams to explain themselves but it is clear that no one on the XD team reads the support threads. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get why this isn't something we can use.

I'm not talking about using external links to mimic a live site for users, this is about an easy way to communicate with devs where links need to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I never switched to xd from figma. It's such a disappointment.
Everytime I google for not so complicated feature that already exist elsewhere i end up on the page 
"Please vote for it and it will come in a next decade"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our team lead recently left to join Adobe. I sent him a link to this thread. I would want to know about this in watched support issue if it were me building a product like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is literally getting behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry for the delay. Let me assure you that our Engineering team is working on this feature and you'll surely see an improvement in future releases.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions or feedback.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rishabh, 

Can you please give us an update on timing. We are a huge Enterprise company and are also about to switch from XD due to these limitations. We want to know whether it's time to pull the plug on XD or if this is actually coming in the next couple of months. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely time to pull the plug. As other have said, it will likely never be added. Figma is light years ahead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rishabh, why are you lying to us? How long do you need? This thread starts in 2018. Adobe is a joke and is taking the p*ss out of its subscribers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcus,

I am so sorry for the delay. I am afraid, I still don't have a time frame by when this feature would be available, however as per the UserVoice request it shows that the feature has started so you'll surely see an improvement in future releases.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to the question is to switch to a professional tool like figma or sketch and uninstall XD. XD can't even create lists and MANY other BASIC text content let alone add interactive components to your layout. XD is a joke of an application and is so far behind other alternatives. XD reminds me of when Adobe couldn't compete with Macromedia for web design and editing tools, so they just bought them. Adobe should do the same now because XD is not cutting it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe! Please take this product off of the market! it is time wasting garbage for this industry. We all love Photoshop and illustrator for historical reasons but please stop marketing this crap! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Adobe tools you are doing it wrong. Says someone who has used said tools for 20yrs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After effects is pretty cool though. Agreed about XD. Im using Figma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

We are using XD as a replacement for traditional presentation tools like PPT or Google Slides. Without the ability to link to external URLs, we are severely limited in our usage. I'm just so curious why such an easy feature has not been enabled. Especially knowing that more and more people are using this tool to create design presentations. Please advise when we can expect this capability? Also, Anima is totally useless for adding these links in presentations. It makes the sharing process way too combersom and limits the audience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines