• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Invited users could not see filename changes of copied files, making it hard to pull assets

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My UX team recently moved from Sketch to XD because of it being available on both PC and Mac.

Our UI Designer built out components for us to use in our mockups and for our Design System to share with developers.

We ran into an on-going issue that we just spent about an hour hardcore troubleshooting and finally figured out a solution--I wanted to share the solution because the frustration caused by this issue made our designer want to drop XD and run to another program.

The Problem:

Our Designer would create a file to house master components, we'll say "Pagination".

They would then copy the file and create a new one to build out other components in. By default this file would be named "Pagination - Copy". They would then rename it to whatever the new file was going to house like "Drop Downs"

The problem was that those of us on the team they invited to the document, never saw the updated name change. So when we would link assets from XD or even view our shared documents in the browser, all we saw was "Pagination" and "Pagination - Copy" even though the Designer saw "Pagination" and "Drop Downs"

This made it very difficult to ensure we were pulling the assets we actually needed into our documents and not some other set of assets we didn't need--it was like roulette but with design files. It was frustrating and time consuming and our Designer didn't even realize anything was wrong because their files were fine.

The Solution: 

After about an hour of back and forth, playing around with inviting and copying and saving and renaming, we finally figured out a very bizarre work around, but were happy to have found it.

I copied a file and invited others to it and we ran into the same issue. I had renamed my file, but they only saw the original name - copy.

After trying several different solutions, I tried moving the file into a folder. Then, suddenly, they could see the correct name, even without seeing the folder. Moving the file back out of the folder or to the original folder did not change it back to the incorrect name.

My guess is that it's something with the name change not being pushed until the file moves locations and the system has to re-look at the file name? Or something like that? But this was our very confusing solution to our very confusing bug.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for a detailed explanation of the issue and your solution Rebekah.
I'll make sure Adobe employees  see this so they can pass it on to the right people to check into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines