• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it ok if I set width of web page 2560px when designing?

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard that the most common width is 1920px, but I saw a tutorial of web design and in that video, the designer set his width 2560px.

Is it ok if I do the same? Will it show up fine on any monitor when I design with a 2560px width?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

When you say width of the web page, do you mean the width of the artboard in Xd, or the width of the website content?

For the artboard size, you can go as big as you want, but I don't recommend going too wide. I keep my artboards 1920px wide or smaller, since clients most often open the prototype on their laptop, and the artboad will shrink to fit their resolution, which means it will look smaller on their screen. Also, if your monitor is smaller than 2560px, it might be annoying to navigate arou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say width of the web page, do you mean the width of the artboard in Xd, or the width of the website content?

For the artboard size, you can go as big as you want, but I don't recommend going too wide. I keep my artboards 1920px wide or smaller, since clients most often open the prototype on their laptop, and the artboad will shrink to fit their resolution, which means it will look smaller on their screen. Also, if your monitor is smaller than 2560px, it might be annoying to navigate around the artboard if you view it at 100% zoom, as you should most of the time. 

For the website content width, I don't go bigger than 1200px, rarely 1260px for desktops. The majority of windows laptop screens are still 1366px wide. If you are making a web app that's fully responsive with no margins on both sides, you can use the full res, but still focus on laptop screen sizes.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In contrast to popular belief and practice, there are no "standard" sizes.

Depending on what the website's key users are, they can range from smartphone users, to users holding a tablet in portrait mode, or laptop and desktop users – hence, a vast variety of viewers and screen widths. And it's your task to find out at which breakpoint you think your design needs a different content and/or layout. E.g. do you think it's better for your website to just add excess margins to the main section (when the width increases), or to add or remove, scale and spread any columns ? Make up your mind, create some variations, try them out, see how users interact with them. 

There are nog wrong or right picks here.

It's all a matter of deciding and defining what's appropriate for your website's users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines