• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this legal use of the text to speech feature ?

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using adobe xd

I was going to use the Text to speech feature, then I record the speech .. then add this speech into a YouTube video .. (note: i earn money from youtube video).. Is this legal and free or not?

[Title changed by moderation]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Okay, so I digged a little deeper to find out more about the TTS technology used by Adobe XD. Judging by the choice of typical names of the spoken feedback, Adobe XD is probably using Amazon's TTS service lovingly named "Polly". And yes, Amazon allows you to use their voices in recordings for use in "third party" publications !

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?messageID=770993

Using their tool 'live' and directly (like in apps, websites, or any other applications or systems) has a price

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most text-to-speech (TTS) features of applications (like Adobe XD) are tapping into standard technologies of the operating system. So the question is: under what legal conditions and restrictions are these services offered ?

I searched the web a bit and found that Google is quite mild in their stance on letting you use their TTS, even for commercial purposes. There seems to be some small fee for commercial use, but users are not really consistent in paying for it. And Google is probably not actively checking any illegal of their service. 

Apple however, is very strict and clear about it:

"F. Voices. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you may use the system voices included in the Apple Software (“System Voices”) (i) while running the Apple Software and (ii) to create your own original content and projects for your personal, non-commercial use. No other use of the System Voices is permitted by this License, including but not limited to the use, reproduction, display, performance, recording, publishing or redistribution of any of the System Voices in a profit, non-profit, public sharing or commercial context."

There are several special tools, making it a lot easier to write, speak, and record synthetic voices, than using Adobe XD's voice feature. Just Google a bit using terms like TTSspeech, record and you'll find them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much for answering me

So yas i can do it by Adobe xd .. or no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, so I digged a little deeper to find out more about the TTS technology used by Adobe XD. Judging by the choice of typical names of the spoken feedback, Adobe XD is probably using Amazon's TTS service lovingly named "Polly". And yes, Amazon allows you to use their voices in recordings for use in "third party" publications !

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?messageID=770993

Using their tool 'live' and directly (like in apps, websites, or any other applications or systems) has a price, but that's not what you're doing.

BTW: again, try using Polly in stead of using Adobe XD to create your recordings. Seems much easier to me...

Start a free account for Amazon Web Serices (AWS) and log in to the Polly console to create and record your spoken text. You can even use various settings to tweak any voice more in your desired style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines