Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with components feature- hover state

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Im having an issue with using the different component states on XD. I have added a video as reference. As you can see whenever i change the hover state it is affecting the defaut state as well. Am i doing something wrong ? Help!

TOPICS
How to , Prototyping

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

You're changing the opacity of the component, not the opacity of the elements inside it. A component contains all its states and elements, so if you change the opacity of the component, you change it for all the states and elements within it.

First - go to the layers tab, so you can see what is happening. Don't edit things while on the Assets tab, because you're basically blind as to what you are doing.

Here's a video I made recently to show another user how component editing works.

You have to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for reaching us.

If you change the opacity by selecting the component it will propogate to all states. If you want to change in particular state then go to edit mode and change its opacity.

Thanks,

Asha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Asha, 

I still dont quite follow. It does a similar thing even in the edit mode..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're changing the opacity of the component, not the opacity of the elements inside it. A component contains all its states and elements, so if you change the opacity of the component, you change it for all the states and elements within it.

First - go to the layers tab, so you can see what is happening. Don't edit things while on the Assets tab, because you're basically blind as to what you are doing.

Here's a video I made recently to show another user how component editing works.

You have to make sure you select elements inside the components, not the component itself, if you want the change to propagate between instances and/or states.

Even when you switch to a different state, you have to make sure you're working with the contents of the component.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem and I don't understand this answer. I have a component with only one element inside it (a layer of text). When I try to change the opacity on either default or hover states, it changes on both states. If I select the text layer within the component, it doesn't give the option to change state, because it is not a component. What am I missing? I appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Im having that same problem with mine since I only had one element (image) inside my component. Was just wondering if you found a way to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this is not a correct answer. I am more than sure I did everything as you instructed. It doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I managed to get it to work. This is weird, something is very confusing about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what is missing from your answer is to specify how each state builds on each other. There is something about the sequence of actions that breaks the functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably that every time you change the default state, it resets SOME parameters of the hover state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

may i Know what did u do ? 

Because still i have this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make it clear - you need to adjsut the layers within the componenet itself. if you want a different opacity on hover, select the hover state then double click to get to the layers within the component - adjsut the layers opacity within the component, group the layers within the component if you need to adjsut the opacity of everything, this is the same logic for rotating different component states.... or just make it easy on yourself and use figma. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem and came here for help. If I can put it another way maybe it will be clearer. A "component" is essentially a group, and a "state" is essentially a snapshot/screenshot of the layers. We used to have to make a whole new art board for each state, even if it was just to change one fill colour of one layer. 

so make your group, like a hamburger menu with two rectangles underneath with text. Make sure you select the hamburger, both rectangles and all the text (using shift+select). Press + next to component or cntrl/cmd + K. Look in your Layers panel. It will have a "group" named conponent and underneath it will have your 5 layers (stay organized and rename everything as you go!). Rename Group  "Component" to "Menu" for clarity and make sure your layers are named (hamburger, rectangle 1, rectangle 2, text 1, text 2). Now look: Select your group "Menu". See how it has a green diamond in the upper left hand corner? That means the group is selected. Then select a layer like "rectangle 1"; see the lack of green diamond? You don't want to make your changes with the green diamond selected. 

select "menu" again and add a hover state. Make sure hover state is selected. Now go to layers panel and select "rectangle 1" (notice lack of green diamond). Change the fill color or opacity. xd is taking a snapshot/new art board of everything on it with that rectangle color/opacity changed instead of you having to make that art board.  Now select group "menu" again and toggle between hover and default state. That one rectangle should toggle fill/opacity. So make sure the group is selected, click on the state you want to change, then go to layers panel and shift + click to select all the layers under the "component"/"menu" group you want to adjust for that state. 

tldr: make sure you're selecting the layers within the group named "component" to make changes to. If you are making changes to items with a green diamond in the upper left hand corner, it will change it for all states. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines