Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linear gradient not imported to XD

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am running into a problem importing an AI graphic to XD. The radial gradient is imported, but the linear gradient is displayed as solid color, although in the inspector on the right siede side the fill says gradient. It is supposed to be in the sword.

Does anybody know ho to fix this?

Thank you!

FridaScreen Shot 2020-02-19 at 15.55.24.png

TOPICS
Design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried pasting and importing two elements with linear and radial gradient, and they both work fine. So there must be someting intricate in the content you've created. Any weirdly grouped or compound element, a funky clipping mask, or a transparancy mask in it, not doing anything else but unnecissarily increasing the complexity ?

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-20 om 08.16.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

thank you so much for replying. No, nothing fancy like clipping masks or so. Just that the linear gradient is angled and not vertical. I tried the unite tool in the pathfinder before exporting the asset, as somebody in this forum suggested and that worked miraculously. Obviously angled gradients are not expeorted/ imported properly otherwise. Weird?! 

Thank you!

Frida

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested an angular linear gradient and it still worked fine, both as a Paste and an Import. So there must be something else at play here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh that is so weird. I have no idea what it could be. I copy pasted and imported only the sword, without the other graphics and it is still doing it. Huh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you move the gradient around inside the shape? Can you show the complete object with visible gradient annotator in Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Monika,

yes, I did. I will attach the screenshot. Thank you!

FridaScreen Shot 2020-02-20 at 12.37.35.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if Xd supports moving around a gradient like you can do in Illustrator.

So can you try if it's possible to achieve the sane with just using the gradient panel, the rotate angle and the gradient stops?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ! Monika in da House 🙂

Adobe XD accepts various kinds of gradients from Illustrator very well, both as pasted and imported graphic, with multiple colors, shifts in balance, and even opacity levels. So it must be something with the overall construction of that particular shape, causing XD to mis-interprete the Fill.

Schermafbeelding 2020-02-21 om 10.43.11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, yes Monika helped me out multiple times when I started to learn Illustrator in 2017 🙂  Its getting even weirder. The solution you suggested Monika fixed the gradient ont the sword, thank you!  But the little end of the hilt, nope, still not showing the gradient. Here the solution helped, that Khaledi suggested, switch to radial and back to linear and tataa, there is the gradient. (3rd Sword) Weird!

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 04.38.32.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-21 at 04.16.00.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-21 at 04.19.20.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the issue originates in Illustrator, though it doesn't seem to cause a problem in Illustrator or similar (probably Postscript/PDF capable) environments. Would be nice and wise if the Adobe XD developers could get the problematic part of your drawing, for a closer examination. This is and will be happening more often...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am happy to upload or share the .ai file to the developers if I know where to upload it.. 

Thank you all for your help!! At least I found two solutions to fix the problem in XD with the help here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps some one like Preran reads this and will leave a reply or contact you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter, nobody has contaced me yet, but I will message Preran.

Best

Frida

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue time to time, normally helps to switch to radial gradient in XD and then back to linear and after that normally you can see all gradients colors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! Thank you! I will definitely try that 🙂

Frida

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same problem and here's how I solve it for now..

Nik5E22_0-1601386713436.png

Here's how it look on Adobe Illustrator. Here's how it looked on XD when pasted / imported.

Nik5E22_1-1601386759863.png

Make sure to compound path gradient elements in your illustration. I asure you it works.. Here a link on what are compound paths. (It's easy as right clicking and making it a compound path)

Here's how it look on illustrator when I make the gradient shape to a compound path.
Right click then press Make Compound Path

After that try pasting on XD it should work 100% .. I got this solution while exploring on XD on how to truly save this because I have an urgent project in UI UX xD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I will definitely try that! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.

I tried the compound solution but it didn´t work, maybe because i have a gradient go through different shapes (letters).
The quick solution I found was to save the vector as SVG, on a different file.
Dragged the SVG into my XD composition and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I tested it with a simple figure and the result is the same. I hope they solve it soon, because it is quite annoying.

DanielBlazquez_0-1604577649433.png

DanielBlazquez_1-1604577657424.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem is not the same, because importing or pasting elements with linear or radial gradients into XD work fine !! So there must be something strange with your sample... 

When copying/pasting doesn't seem to work, then check this setting in the Preferences (it's in Dutch, but I hope tou can find and verify it). It defines what is brought over by the clipboard:

Schermafbeelding 2020-11-05 om 22.28.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter. I have the same settings. It is a clean file from Illustrator and XD. It stopped working when updating to v25. 

PD: There is a new version. Let's cross our fingers and see if it has been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact issue. On the left a copy paste of the shape and on the right the same shape using the cc library from Illustrator to XD. It doesn't work. XD doesn't support swatches and linear gradient from illustrator if I use the library. XD has a lot of compatibility problems even when you works in the same file in Windows and Mac.

obaquero_0-1613768330501.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. A client provided their logo, with some complex gradients, as an Illustrator file so I created an SVG but when I brought it into XD the gradient was solid (I also tried coping and pasting but had same outcome). I tried the other tricks mentioned, but nothing worked withour creating lost of extra work. Then I noticed the file had guides. I removed the guides and it worked great. I coped and pasted from AI to XD and gradient was perfect. 

If you have guides in AI file remove them and try again it worked for me not sure why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello.
I can't explanation for below effect

But i find this process is resolve the this issue.

step1: Object -> Live Paint -> Make
step2: Object -> Live Paint -> Expand

If you can write ExScript, the following may also be useful.

app.executeMenuCommand("Make Planet X")
app.executeMenuCommand("Expand Planet X")

thank you. (  | _ | )v

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines