• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for workflow ideas re placing Stock images into XD files, reducing file size

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I do a lot of wireframing in Adobe XD. My workflow includes placing image comps from Adobe Stock into my XD designs. Once designs are approved, I license the images from Stock directly in my XD designs. BUT, I think this may be leading to HUGE file sizes. I may license 4-5 images per design. Some of my XD file sizes are 25 MB with 100 MB PDF exports!

Obvi, I could use a different workflow which would entail this:

1. Place image comp in XD; get approval.
  2. License image from Stock.Adobe.com, download to hard drive, bring into PS, reduce image size, re-save on hard drive, then place the downsized image into the XD file.

OY. So. Many. Extra. Steps.

Can anyone recommend a better workflow that happens within XD? I already tried optimizing my 100 MB PDFs from Acrobat, but that drops them by 2 MB, so not enough. I'm concerned about sending these ginormous files to stakeholders.

Thanks,

Becca

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

If you're talking about the size of the exported PDF:

Flatten PDFs on export – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Beccav,

Thanks for using Adobe XD, and sharing the workflow. I would request you to try the batch processing using Adobe
Photoshop and then take the images to Adobe XD. Here is some more information about it: - Process a batch of Photoshop files.

This is not very different than what you are already doing, batch processing would just automate the process in case you have lots of images.

Feel free to share the feedback here: - Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs as well.

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Atul_Saini, batch processing is probably my best option.

But I was hoping there'd be a way (and maybe this is a feature request for Adobe XD) to a) place the Stock comp in my XD design b) license the image from XD (all already possible, so yay Adobe) but then c) down-res that licensed image - right where it is, in my design - that just loaded in my XD file when I licensed it.

Right now my images go from grainy comp to super high res licensed Stock image, boosting my design's file size with every image I place. I love the ability to license directly from XD/CC Libraries pane, but then I bog down my design files with every new image I buy. An ideal solution would be an image resize ability within that workflow (instead of my having to leave to go to Bridge or Photoshop, ya know?)

In any case, I do appreciate and will use your workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're talking about the size of the exported PDF:

Flatten PDFs on export – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks kennethkawamoto2, I see from that thread that Jason Krause also has my same issue. At least I'm not alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the real question is... why are you exporting PDFs? Sharing for review is much better, especially for prototypes and designs. You get a link that you can share with anyone... no download needed.

PDF export is sort of there for people just in case they need it.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question, Dan. My team uses project management software that uses a visual preview. Stakeholders like to login and immediately see this preview. They also like to download the PDF and leave comments directly on the design, then re-upload it. Perhaps instead I can persuade them to start reviewing within the sharing link and use a PNG for preview. It's all about changing their behavior.

But, as an early adopter I've also experienced sharing glitches with XD that put me off to that feature. So I'll have to see if those are still an issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With "Share for Review" stakeholders can see the project, click through a working prototype, and leave comments all in a web browser with no files or software to download. I totally understand about getting people used to something new, but this is made specifically for that type of workflow so you should definitely look into it. I hope it helps you out!

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines