• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merging document asset colors disconnects all character styles and components!

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

When I use the Adobde XD "feature" to merge colors by simply editing one of the two I want to merge to be the same as the other one. While doing this Adobe XD detects they are duplicate and merge them to be one with all elements that are connected to either one or the other are now connected to the one.

BUT.

All Charatcter Style connections are lost that use either one or the other of the orginal colors before merging. Meaning all Component connections that use character styles lose there connections aswell.

Is that a bug or is it my workflow that is wrong?

Thanks

Sascha

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

The problem here is that I am talking about character style assets and color assets. Not components. Character styles hav there own color settings. These character styles own color settings are not linked to a color asset.

So lets say you have a color asset that is black. And you have a set of character style assets that all have the same black color value aswell. Now you have placed a ton of typography elements onto your artboards linked to the color asset AND the character styles. And now you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share screenshot. Also describe steps of your actions? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a step by step workflow of how the "disconnect" happens:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

      

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your system does seam to compress all screenshots to micro views... hope you can see what happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm... Any further comment on the screenshots I did send?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO you need to create new Master Component. It seems your action are ok. But I am not shure is this a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem here is that I am talking about character style assets and color assets. Not components. Character styles hav there own color settings. These character styles own color settings are not linked to a color asset.

So lets say you have a color asset that is black. And you have a set of character style assets that all have the same black color value aswell. Now you have placed a ton of typography elements onto your artboards linked to the color asset AND the character styles. And now you want to change the color of ALL characters styles for ALL typography elements on ALL your artboards. You have two options:

1) Go into every character style asset and change it´s color value there to the new one you want.

Benefit: You keep all the links between character asset and "typo-instance" on the artboards

Problem: It´s timeconsuming to change each and every of your character Styles H1-H7 pragraphs etc.

2) You change the color asset to the new one you want

Benefit: It´s quick. All "typo-instance" are changed

Problem: Not only the "typo-instance" are changed but all other elements that used the same color aswell. You lost all your Character Style assets to typo instances links.

So the result from my point of view is: Adobe tells you to keep color settings for typography and other elements separate otherwise you lose the character asset to typo-instance linking. Because if at any point in time you have a state where you typography elements are using the same color as a color asset and you then change that color asset again you lose your character style to typography instance linking. And you can not relink it.

This is not a practicable concept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if this is what you're after, but there has been a feature request for colours not to merge automatically.
Need more votes to get it considered though.

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/35455297-allow-dup...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines