• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing fonts

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a font manager called FontBase. I believe it copies files over to my system font folder.

I was having some mixed success where some fonts worked and some didn't. I updated the software today because I noticed there was an update and I was hoping this well known bug would have been fixed. Now I'm not seeing ANY of my fonts from FontBase. They have all disappeared.

I'm using Windows 10. Help! This has gone from an annoying problem to now all of my designs are useless.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

I did the same thing, then fontbase started working with my google fonts... Weird.

not sure if this is a temp or perma fix, but odd.

UPDATE: So this is a known issue, you have to do this ( add a font from fontkit.com ) every time before you start up XD to make it see your fonts from other font managers. Hopefully they fix this.

Its been an issue for a long time from what I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, they are showing up in Word Pad and all of the other applications on my computer where you can select fonts (Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. I just tried unactivating a single font, and then reactivated it, closed XD and opened it again. I'm seeing some fonts in there now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having issues. Deactivating and Activating is not working. I've restarted my computer a few times. I've closed XD and then reactivated the fonts in FontBase, then open XD again, nothing is working. I'm extremely frustrated with this. I'm not going to be able to continue to use this software on client work if you all can't figure this out.

It is not the WordPad bug like in this thread: Missing fonts (XD can't locate installed system fonts due to name mismatch) – Adobe XD Feedback : Fe...

My fonts are showing up in WordPad.

Why can't it work like it does in all other creative cloud software? I can access the fonts in Photoshop and Illustrator.

Most professional designers use third party font management software. XD needs to be compatible with it.

I'm using Windows 10 and have the latest version of XD installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the sudden my fonts just showed up. The only thing I did was out of exasperation, I decided to see if I could find a similar font on Typekit and activated it. Then closed XD and opened again, and now my fonts are working. Who the hell knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the same thing, then fontbase started working with my google fonts... Weird.

not sure if this is a temp or perma fix, but odd.

UPDATE: So this is a known issue, you have to do this ( add a font from fontkit.com ) every time before you start up XD to make it see your fonts from other font managers. Hopefully they fix this.

Its been an issue for a long time from what I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep -- that's exactly what I've been doing before I start up XD. I go to typekit.com, activate a font, then open XD. Super annoying but I got a notification the other day that they found a fix and will be releasing it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reasons why Adobe applications may not recognize the fonts visible to other applications (like Wordpad) are the following:
1) PostScript (Type 1) fonts may not be visible in Adobe app if the font are installed in a folder on a local disk, while Adobe applications accept them if the Type 1 fonts are located in a special common folder known to Adobe. This is a very old problem and it was described on FontExpert support forum.

2) Latest version of Windows 10 supports new type of font installation: for the Current User. It seems Adobe applications do not recognize fonts when they are installed "for current user". In FontExpert we have supported this new type of installation provided by Microsoft in Windows 10, but users has reported that they do not see the fonts in Adobe applications when the fonts are installed for current user. Thus in the latest release of FontExpert we had to set the default type of installation in Windows 10 to the one we used in earler version - installation for All users (which is not as convenient as the installation for current user as it requires from user to confirm administrator provileges).

3) Sometimes when you activate a font it may have slightly different font name in Adobe fonts menu.

In general, if you see that the font after activation is visible in a simple standard application like WordPad and is not visible in Adobe application, this is a signal that the font is installed correctly in operating system and this issue is the matter of compatibility of Adobe app and the way how and where the font was installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Creative Cloud suite and the most recent updates to the programs. I have a missing font also. It is a True Type font and is visible on all Windows applications and even Photoshop but not InDesign. The file was edited by a co-worker on a Mac, uploaded to Google Drive and I've downloaded it from there to my Windows 10 machine. I can see the font in the character/font list in InDesign but the document says it is missing. I've reloaded it into the font directory specifying "all users". It appears to have the same name. As I said before, Photoshop can see and use it. The font is Avenir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU FOR THIS. I signed in to reply just because this has been the only thing to give me a clue why I couldn't see all the fonts I'd just installed and wasted a night searching/reinstalling things to no avail. Had no idea Windows 10 changed this default, but now everything is working as I expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue still seems to be prevalent in XD version 32.0.22.11.  XD will not see fonts added by FontBase even though every other Creative Cloud app (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) seems to recognize them.  

The workaround of activating a font in Adobe Fonts does seem to still work, even though it's annoying.  Here's how you do it, just in case anyone is new to CC.

0. Make sure XD is not open.
1. Log into fonts.adobe.com and select a font.  I always use https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/gin because it's easy to remember.
2. Activate the font.
3. You should see a popup notification on Windows from Creative Cloud that the font was added.
4. Fire up XD.  You should see your Fontbase fonts have been added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines