Highlighted

New library sharing - combining linked with local

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A new way of sharing libraries...is quite nice. Seems easier to manage. But...

Previously we had an opportunity to see local as well linked components in the same panel.

Right now they are divided - linked/activated library and local. Local contains locally made components and linked, but only already used ones.

It's quite annoying when I have to jump through different libraries, especially when you have complex design system with Core elements, Team elements and local elements.

The second problem is with enabling libraries...globally? Why? Why?

If will have single big product...it will work fine.

But if I will have like 10+ products, with the separate design systems - it is a disaster. Right now I have to work with the local library, jump into list full of different libraries, search for a proper one...sick.

If it will stay this way, I will have to push everything into Figma...because it's totally unusable at this point. Fix it or bring old components managing system back...was way better.

TOPICS
Design, Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New library sharing - combining linked with local

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A new way of sharing libraries...is quite nice. Seems easier to manage. But...

Previously we had an opportunity to see local as well linked components in the same panel.

Right now they are divided - linked/activated library and local. Local contains locally made components and linked, but only already used ones.

It's quite annoying when I have to jump through different libraries, especially when you have complex design system with Core elements, Team elements and local elements.

The second problem is with enabling libraries...globally? Why? Why?

If will have single big product...it will work fine.

But if I will have like 10+ products, with the separate design systems - it is a disaster. Right now I have to work with the local library, jump into list full of different libraries, search for a proper one...sick.

If it will stay this way, I will have to push everything into Figma...because it's totally unusable at this point. Fix it or bring old components managing system back...was way better.

TOPICS
Design, Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 22, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amadeusz,

Thank you for reaching out. I really appreciate your feedback about CC libraries integration into the Design system. I'll share it to the product team. However, I'd like to share my personal opinion about this new system.

1.png

It's true that we had local and linked components on the same panel. So, what has changed now? With the new system, in addition to all the local and linked components (Document Assets), you can access other libraries from the same panel.

picture.png

More options may lead to confusion. However, if you had to add assets from 4 different documents, you'd have a huge list of components, fonts, and character styles. Earlier there was no way to organize them in the assets panel.  Now with CC Libraries integration, you can create groups within the libraries, and also view by type. This allows you to cherry-pick the object which you need, unlike flooding all the assets from the linked document which you might not need at the moment.

Untitled pe.png

While managing Libraries you can disable or even unpublish the libraries to avoid confusion while working on a specific project. Eg. All the libraries besides XYZ project Libraries are turned off.

This is definitely a new experience and will require some curation effort from your end. Eg, You might want to create groups based on your need for individual libraries/projects. Like for Primary fonts, secondary fonts, graphics sets, and probably groups based on different pages. Once you put yourself through the onboarding process, you might get fond of it. 

This is my opinion about CC libraries integration with Design Systems. I'd request you to invest some time curating your libraries and write back about the experience.

Post away!

Atul_Saini 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2020 2
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, thank you for the long answer. 🙂

Few questions then:

Can I combine local and linked library/assets without sharing library? Is it possible to view ALL linked assets, even those unused in "document assets"?

Groups.

I am unable to create them in the local library. I have to create an external one. Is this how it supposed to be? 😄

If, yes. How to add components there? I'm able to add them just as graphics...other words, useless.

Anyway, I still don't get what was a problem with the previous linking system. I was able to link how many projects as I wanted...just like at this moment, but all was locally, so less mess when switching projects. Only groups were missing and with them, it would be perfect.

Btw. I'm an enthusiast of new features, new possibilities, tricks and modern solutions. It's just a case when I don't find it as a better solution. In fact, I spend extra hours yesterday till was able to start my work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2020 0
monterxz LATEST
Participant ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all great, but how about this one? https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/document-assets-filtration/m-p/11532594?page=1

Almost ruined my cloud library file, great i've noticed it before closing Adobe XD and was able to undo this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0