• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opacity Properties In Components

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I've set up my mobile app design that has a lot of buttons.
  • The button shape/style is a component (cloud-based in case that matters).
  • If I change the opacity property in the master component, it does not translate to all of my instances (local based).

It seems like, of all things, a simple thing like the opacity property should translate to the instances.
I have two questions:

1. Am I doing something wrong?
  2. If not, is there a work-around?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Okay, that workaround does sort of work.

Here is what was happening and I think it may help others out there:

I was applying the transparency to the master component element as an appearance attribute, using the slider in the inspector (shown below). Applying transparency in this way to a component does not translate to instances.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 8.26.32 AM.png

In order for this to work, the transparency of the color needs to be applied in the color picker of the component element (shown below). When applied in this way, those

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I tried reproducing this on my end and it seems to be working. Will it be possible for you to share a small video of the workflow and what exactly is happening at your end so that we can test it on our end?

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Attached is a demonstration of the problem.

I am using XD version 29.3.32.3, Creative Cloud Sync 4.3.45.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I guess you have no answer for this then? Components don't support transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi FlashPlan1,

We are sorry to hear that you are facing issue while using components,

Here is the workaround for the above mentioned issue, the steps are:
1. create a component( don't add color/ image/numbers)
2. drag the instance's from the assets panel / By using short cut key CTRL+ D you can create an instances
3. now add the color to the component.
4. in edit mode of the master component, change the opacity property of the master component,  the changed opacity is propogated to all the instance present on the canvas.

Regards,

Ashwini M Hiremath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that workaround does sort of work.

Here is what was happening and I think it may help others out there:

I was applying the transparency to the master component element as an appearance attribute, using the slider in the inspector (shown below). Applying transparency in this way to a component does not translate to instances.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 8.26.32 AM.png

In order for this to work, the transparency of the color needs to be applied in the color picker of the component element (shown below). When applied in this way, those changes DO propogate to the instances.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 8.27.02 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter if it's one element or 10 elements. Your rectangle is still within a component.

You need to select the rectangle within the component, and when you edit it's opacity, it will propagate to instances.

Here's a video demonstrating how it works:

Your workaround works, but I avoid using the color's alpha as a solution in general, as it might cause other problems later on.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I of course did select the rectangle within the component, which I thinkis very clear in the video I posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You definitely didn't select the rectangle within the component in the video you shared.

If you had selected the rectangle within the component, you wouldn't see the states at the top right, and you can see them in your video. You selected the component instead, and that's why the opacity change didn't propagate. 

dstoic_0-1593030269365.png

Nevertheless, I'm glad you solved your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me you're not editing the contents of the master component, but the component itself.

Opacity for the component, and opacity for elements inside the component are different things. Changing the opacity of the component won't propagate to instances, while opacity of the elements inside it will.

When you select the component, go to the layers tab and make sure you've selected the rectangle inside it, instead of the component, when you're changing the opacity.

Alternatively, if you Command-click on it when selecting, it should also select the rectangle directly, instead of the component.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My component, as you see in the video, is not a collection of elements. It is a simple native rounded rectangle. It's not grouped in any way. I am directly editing the component. In multiple tests, I can never get the opacity to translate to the instances. Color, no problem. Shape, no problem. Just not opacity.

In my app, I was hoping to present different options for all the buttons. Solid versions of different colors as well as some that have different levels of tranparency. It seems, to do the transparency versions, I will have to select and edit all the buttons manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines