• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Other]-'Save As' is not saving the file to the most recent location in XD.

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was hoping this would get fixed when they removed the useless 'copy' text from the save dialog, but here I am again. on windows, when choosing Save As, you are dumped into the folder of whatever the last item was that you saved of any project - NOT the most recent location of your file. Not sure about how adobe operates, but we like to practice good organization and version history, and having to navigate all the way back through folder to folder to save a file right next to the one i already have open sure is irritating. Please fix the dialog to open at the most recent location of the file im working on, not the location of the file i was working on two hours ago.

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. I am able to reproduce the same at my end on my windows machine. I will share your feedback with the team and will get back to you with an update on it.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, I just tested it thoroughly in the 28.1.12.3 version of XD on Windows 10, and it worked as expected: a file saved in a certain local directory prompts to be saved in that same directory when using Save as. Even after using, Saving, and Saving as several other files in other directories, or importing files from other locations – that all didn't disturb the reference to the original location of any file. Maybe there's a Windows-related setting, somewhere ? (I'm not so familar with the quirks and tricks of Windows...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's a Windows setting since this doesn't happen in any other programs, only XD, and XD doesnt have settings. That said Photoshop had a similar issue with... If I'm remembering correctly... Export>save for web (I think?) Where it gave you a tiny window with horrible navigation that made you re locate your folders every time. I've used XD so exclusively the last couple years, my Photoshop is getting foggy haha.

I should also add that this works with normal predictive navigation on my MacBook. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, you're on it 🙂 And Harshika as well.
I'm glad she can fully reproduce the problem.

Fingers crossed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I investigated more about the issue here and found that there is a bit of confusion the way XD shows the folder address while saving the file.

I recorded the video showing the behavior.

test save.gif

In the location window it doesn't show the recent location but when you click to change the location it shows the recent location.

Could you please check and confirm if this is what is happening at your end as well?

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you're working on a new file there. It doesn't matter to me how predictable the save dialog is when i'm starting a new file, my issue is when i'm working on an EXISTING file and it still doesn't go to the right folder. The result is that sometimes i'm working quickly and it ends up saving in the wrong location because the folder is more similar and i don't see the difference at first. Then i have to spend a bunch of time trying to hunt down my files that i saved in the wrong folder.

Here is a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/72fh2mg20tj6u8q/SaveDialog.mp4?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's try to find any pattern here.

Is it ALWAYS a location within a Dropbox folder, where it is incorrectly leading you to ? Maybe you have some setting active to let Dropbox intervene in the system to safeguard any recently changed file, or to backup a whole folder structure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the locations more precisely:

This is the file you have opened:

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-07 om 10.21.50.png

This is the location XD prompts to go to:

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-07 om 10.21.59.png

This is the location you end up after click:

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-07 om 10.23.03.png

Now since you blacked out the first part of the location you opened from, I can't verify if there's a difference between this first location and the second (the third is clearly and totally different).

The folder you opened the file from, is that a shared folder to which you might not have full rights (like reading, but not saving) ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are the same location folder and folder. its just repeated. Both my macbook and windows desktop are fully backed up on dropbox, and I have access rights to everything. This is not a problem on my macbook. only on windows. 

On windows it always opens to the LAST directory that was opened, not the one i'm currently clicking on. 

For example:

User opens FILE-1.xd from Folder-A

User opens FILE-2.xd from Folder-B makes an update, saves in new location, Folder-C

User makes a change to FILE-1 and tries to open directory by clicking on Folder-A link, user is presented with Folder-C. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in short, its relying on the history of XD to predict where the folder link should open, rather than opening the link location itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For the sake of testing, could you try switching DropBox off for a moment, restart Windows (be sure to check if DropBox is still off), and try reproducing the issue, based on a similar scenario ? We have to change some factor to detect a different result, in order to close in on the culprit, establish a diagnose, and (hopefully) come up with a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines