• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Other]-Unable to open non XD files in Windows 10 via right click.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 / AdobeXD do not allow the option for executing non specific XD files in XD. The following workflow, for example is simply not an option
(right click file (eg. jpg) >> open >> adobe XD)

Why is this not possible in Windows 10?

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
How to , Open and save docs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Well, if it is of any comfort to you, my Mac also doesn't allow using "open with..." on such files. It's just not applicable for files like JPEGs. These should be imported, not opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe design tools (except things like Photoshop) don't Open JPEG files, that's not their job. What would it even mean? If the JPEG is a complete design, then you don't need XD, and if it's only part of the design, you need to use XD's tools to add it where it goes. Perhaps what you want to do is create a new design, then add JPEG files to the design. If you don't know how to add images, here is a tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OACmBXGI3BY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree, I think that XD should come to serve as a more holistic universeal progam like Sketch. 
I don't like the fact that I have to switch between Adobe programs like Photoshop and Illustrator in order to achive simple rastor or vector effects provided by it's sister programs.

AdobeXD should to a better job of infororating more basic funtionalities provided by other Adobe suite programs. 
Sketch is a far more holistic UX/UI design progam and provides more power with respect to editing both rastor and vector elements. AdobeXD should follow suit if it want's to remain competative in the marketplace. 

If I understand correctly, Adobe is in the process of building XD into a more robust system with univeral functionalities. My my sake and the sake of the AdobeCC, I truly hope that it is the case, because I was able to achive a much more rapid workfow with Sketch. 

My primary reason for relying on XD is simply the fact that I switched to a Windows10 based work station, because I became sick of the propriatary, ball and chain Apple plaform. 

I hope Adobe can make me a true convert and champion of their product in the days to come 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if it is of any comfort to you, my Mac also doesn't allow using "open with..." on such files. It's just not applicable for files like JPEGs. These should be imported, not opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just an ease of access thing. Sketch for example is able to execute various types of files.

Thanks for your response

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't like the fact that I have to switch between Adobe programs like Photoshop and Illustrator in order to achive simple rastor or vector effects provided by it's sister programs.

I do. I find most of the apps almost impossibily complicated, and your proposed single app that does everything would just be completely over the top. App switching just about keeps things sane, and some apps at least don't need months of professional training to use (that ship sailed long ago for some, but some aren't there yet).

However, if you want an app to be what it isn't today, you can propose it on the wish list: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/ Adobe may take a more sympathetic view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, it's much appreciated.

I will be sure to add to the user voice list.

For the record tho, I'm not asking for 'over the top', only that XD incorporate some of the more basic functionalities found in other applicaitons. For example it would be nice to have the ability to do simple image editing within the app, such as colorizing basic rastor based objects, such as icons and images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that's exactly where the problem (or danger) lies. Every one wants their "basic" or "just a few simple" features implemented, but no one has a similar list of requests. They all want something different. So the ongoing development of such a relatively young app is eventually – and again – burdenend with tons of convoluted features and methods. It becomes another complex everything-and-the-kitchen-sink application, in stead of a quick and easy tool...

I've seen it happen to numerous applications, and it will happen to Adobe XD as well. Although I must say that Adobe is leaving it more up to plugin developers than doing it themselves ! And there's another big reason why Adobe is not concerned with heavy-lifting features in XD: it's a design app. Any one who is doing complicated and/or repetitive stuff in Adobe XD, is probably creating something too elaborate as a mere design proposal. (Okay, I might be over-simplying it a bit, but hopefully it helps to understand XD's goals.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well I sencerely hope they don't mess it up again then...
https://twitter.com/mcsheffrey/status/764172380868489217?s=20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines