• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Panel]- How to select layers or move elements with arrow keys in XD?

Engaged ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In design mode, sometimes I select a layer in the layer window and use the arrow keys to adjust it's position.

Sometimes, doing this, it moves the element. Other times it changes the selection of the layer windows. And other times, it does nothing.

Why does it have 3 behaviours? How each one is triggered?

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Design , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Hi Franco,

Thank you for reaching out and using Adobe XD. We would suggest checking this article on how to use keyboard shortcuts for mobing the element of selecting the layers: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/xd/help/keyboard-shortcuts.html#KeysforLayersObjectsGroupsandArtboards

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Franco,

Thank you for reaching out and using Adobe XD. We would suggest checking this article on how to use keyboard shortcuts for mobing the element of selecting the layers: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/xd/help/keyboard-shortcuts.html#KeysforLayersObjectsGroupsandArtboards

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't think this question should be marked as solved. I have the same issue (reading the article you posted did not provide an answer).

Repro steps:

1. Click to select a layer, group or component in the layer panel
  2. Hit an arrow key to attempt to move the object 1 pixel
  3. Sometimes this actually moves the object, but other times it moves up or down the layer hierarchy, selecting a different layer

To get it to stop, I just click the layer I'm trying to move, and try the arrow key again. Sometimes it's 2 or 3 attempts before the arrow key actually moves the object. It's an incredibly frustrating issue! I couldn't even find an equivalent shortcut in the article for what's happening.

Adobe XD version: 27.2.12.4  (this issue has been happening at least the last 3 versions, but maybe even longer. It hasn't always happened, though)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leeg,

Sorry to hear that you are facing trouble while moving the elements in XD. I am unable to reproduce the same at my end on my windows machine in the current version of XD (28.4). Would you mind updating XD to the current version and let us know if that solves the problem?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please confirm if the issue has been resolved? Please let us know if you need further assistance on the issue. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Harshika,

After updating to version 28.4.12.3 and working in the application for a full day, I haven't seen the issue again. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harshika, I ran into the issue again today. It happens when I click on the text part of the layer name within the layer panel. If I click outside of the text, the arrow keys work as expected. This is difficult to deal with if the layer has a long name or is nested deeply.

Please advise, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's bad to hear. Could you please share the file with me for testing purpose? Is it happening with all the files or with the specific file? Also, we have the current version of XD available 28.5. Try to update again and let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Encountering what I believe to be the same issue in XD version 33.1.12.

Using Shift to select multiple layers and clicking on the text name of a layer followed by using arrow keys with the intention of nudging the selected layers instead results in the selection changing in the layers panel based on arrow key movements originally intended for nudging.

Current work-arounds I've been using are to Shift-Select with the final Shif- click not being on text/layer-name (not always possible as something layer names can get really long) or nudging left/right first instead of up/down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines