Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview window no longer closes with with cmd-W

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on XD v34.0.12.

I started noticing yesterday that the preview window no longer closes when using the mac shortcut for "close" (cmd-W). When I cmd-W other XD document windows, they close.

Seems like a small problem, but I'm constantly testing prototypes as I build them, and present work frequently which involves popping into and out of preview mode countless times. Restoring this shortcut would make a big impact to my day-to-day.

TOPICS
Product performance , Prototyping

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

Sorry to hear you are unable to close the preview window on macOS using CMD +W shortcut. We are unable to reproduce the issue at our end. Would you mind sharing the OS version you're using so that we can test it at our end? Is it happening with a specific file or all the files? Could you please share the file with me over a private message so that I can chect at my end?

Please upload the file to a shared location such as Creative Cloud or Dropbox and share the URL with me over a private message.

Note: Please add the url of the post for reference over a PM.

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure it’s Catalina 10.15.7. To answer your other question, it's happening consistently with some but not all of my files. The files themselves close, but it's the preview window that doesn't respond to the shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the information. Would you mind trying to use (Quit= ⌘Q on amc and  Alt + F4 on windows)? Please see this article for all the shortcuts: https://helpx.adobe.com/lu_en/xd/user-guide.html/lu_en/xd/help/keyboard-shortcuts.ug.html

Let me know if that works. 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting... yes, the problem I'm having with ⌘W seems to also apply to ⌘Q for preview mode - when those same files are being previewed. This suggests that for these files, one bug is blocking both of these shortcuts from being picked up.

I'll mention just in case this helps diagnostically, but keyboard shortcuts typically cause an item in the application's bar to flash briefly. When my ⌘W and ⌘Q is being ignored, the flash isn't happening either.

I'll also mention, but it seems like a coincidence, the two files I'm having trouble with consist of one cloud file that I have "Saved As" another cloud file. This is something I rarely do, but I started noticing this problem shortly after copying the file in this way. The prototypes are pretty big (~75 screens) and feature some local components. I did this to achieve full independence between the files as I edit each one, and I'm starting to experience some odd behaviour that suggests some unwanted associations between these documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was just affecting the two files I mentioned (#2 being a "saved as" copy of #1). I have since deleted most everything out of #2 because things were getting squirrely with it, and copied some artboards from #1 back into #2. Now file #2 is fine and only file #1 still has the shortcuts blocked. The preview (when previewing file #1) also blocks the ⌘~ (switching between documents)

Thanks for your interest but I can let this one go as an unsolved mystery... Something in this older file was funky, and whatever it was didn't make it into the new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines