Highlighted

Prototype screen links invisible - Urgent fix please!

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

after updating XD today I am experiencing a very annoying change:

I CANNOT SEE THE LINKS BETWEEN SCREENS in prototype workspace.

Please tell me it's just a bug and you are fixing it already...I don't want to think you made the links invisible on purpose!

Looking forward to any news

Cheers

Jonathan confirmed that this issue has been fixed in XD 21.0 released today. Can you update to the latest version and let us know if you are still facing this issue?

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Prototype screen links invisible - Urgent fix please!

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

after updating XD today I am experiencing a very annoying change:

I CANNOT SEE THE LINKS BETWEEN SCREENS in prototype workspace.

Please tell me it's just a bug and you are fixing it already...I don't want to think you made the links invisible on purpose!

Looking forward to any news

Cheers

Jonathan confirmed that this issue has been fixed in XD 21.0 released today. Can you update to the latest version and let us know if you are still facing this issue?

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 18, 2019 2
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the trouble that you're experiencing with XD, as you're unable to see the links between screens. Please select the artboard and check if you are able to see the link. Please check this article for more info Learn how to create interactive prototypes in Adobe XD that you or others can use to validate the us...

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

This is the standard action to see the links and it doesn't work. That's the topic of my post.

Please check and let me know since I am quite stuck with so many screens and links to manage on products live and others to go live in a few days!

Cheers

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 1
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can select all the elements on an artboard (or the file) to see the wires.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how do you do that on a PC? The CTRL+A shortcut selects all the elements on all the artboards (meaningless after a certain prototype size or element number), but I don't know how to do that (show all linking elements) on a selected artboard! I must dig down group after group to an element now to see if it's connected to somewhere or not... that's not good so!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 0
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you're on an artboard, you can drag a selection over multiple objects to see all their wires.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work for groups inside groups, like in pretty much everything you would import from a PSD file with lot's of layers and layer sets nested in each other!

For example: if you have a "Tabs" group with 3-4 tab, you select it, you couldn't see anything linking. If you open up this group and select each tab group inside it with the SHIFT key manually one after the other you are finally able to see the links, because this sub-groups now doesn't contain any more sub-groups inside them, just the objects. So if you have nested groups after 2 level deep - no prototype links visible any more in the parent level, you must go down to the last group or even object level to see the possible linkings. That's really bad and not usable and user friemdly, especially for more complex projects. Not everyone plays with simple mobile apps with a couple of buttons, text and pictures Adobe!

Another example: I have a big table as component. This table group has a sub-group called "table background" that contains all the table rows. All this table rows are linked to different artboards. The only way to see to which artboard they are linked is to open the "table background" group and select all objects inside it with the SHIFT key. It's a big step back in prototype in turns of perspicuity, I need to work (click) a lot, to see the whole picture (what is linked to where).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 0
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point about it not working in groups. Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to say this behavior was good. I am just trying to help people out with the way it's currently working.

While the XD team does read posts here, these forums are mainly for helping users, not tracking feature requests and bug reports. Please post your (valid) concerns on the Adobe XD User Voice page linked above (which is for feature requests and bug reports). You can also include a link to this conversation to make sure they can read everything people have said.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, sure, thanks! I've posted the problem to here too with a lot of other people:

ANNOYING BUG: Prototype wires not showing when selecting artboards – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Req...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 0
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news... an Admin replied to your post there and it does look like they consider this a bug. The XD team does move pretty fast, so hopefully a bug fix won't take too long.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 2
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you can not window select to see all the wires connecting symbols screens.  It appears to be layer based. If intentional by Adobe it needs to be reverted back to the previous update so we can see ALL wire connections in Prototype mode.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an option if you are playing around not if working with 100+ screens and deadlines to hit

Hopefully it's just a bug and Adobe WILL FIX IT... ASAP please!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 1
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is a bug or if Adobe thought this new way was better. But either way, software fixes typically do not come super quick. Be sure to tell Adobe what you think on the User Voice (XD feedback) link kennethkawamoto2 posted above!

This is a reminder of why—in a professional environment—it's not recommended that you upgrade when you're on a deadline or in the middle of a big project.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We've made some changes to how wires are displayed in Prototype mode. With this release we introduced a new Property Inspector that allows you to edit multiple wire properties simultaneously. Additionally, the Property Inspector is contextual to the object you select.

More details here - Properties Inspector in Prototype Mode – Adobe XD June Release 2019 | Adobe Creative Cloud - YouTube

But why are my wires missing?
Your wires aren't missing. We've made some changes to the way we display wires. Prior to the June release we always displayed all wires associated with an artboard (inbound, outbound and all wires from the elements on the artboard) In order to scale prototype mode for additional functionality like multiple triggers, hover and states (coming soon) we now only display wires for the selected object.

If you want to select all wires across artboards - Select all artboards by marquee selecting across them.
If you want to select all wires across all the objects and artboards - Use CMD/CTRL A to select all.

As always, there is room for improvements. With monthly updates we have an opportunity to enhance this behaviour soon. If you still prefer the old behaviour, please upvote this request - ANNOYING BUG: Prototype wires not showing when selecting artboards – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Req...

Thank you,

Jonathan Pimento
Sr. Product Manager - Adobe XD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 1
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Jonathan,

we understand that. The problem is that the current solution despite the fact that now it has a number of new, additional features / improvements (and yes, hover and states are absolutely welcomed, please prioritize it) did not work well. If you have more nested groups now you see almost nothing from the existing wires of this groups (at least until you dig down to an individual element), and you need to see and interpret the connections (wires) at least from the currently viewed artboard. It's not just the usual user crying for the "good old things that worked before". It's the difference between seeing all wires/connections and almost nothing from the conncections. And could be a show stopper thing in a workplace!
The first post here was a shock of change, OK, but now we need a solution that has the new addtitional functionalities too, but works well for artboards with object groups that are grouped and grouped again (because of PSD import and to have a better overview between a lot of elements on an artboard). To have a good overview from the connections of the selected artboard's elements is also super important, more like anything else, so please don't loose that.

By the way, we're really glad that the bug has been raised ( ANNOYING BUG: Prototype wires not showing when selecting artboards – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Req... )!

What do you think how much time can be taken to fix this problem/issue?  I have multiple big prototypes in my workplace which will be very difficult and time-consuming to update/change so that you are only able to see the links/wires at a selected object level...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response here,

I definitely understand why you'd be changing this around to get ready for future updates to this functionality, all the new improvements generally sound good.

The problem is the state we're in currently. IMO it's a pretty big hit to this versions usability without some of those future features.

Right now I have a project with about 30 or so artboards, with a lot of connections, and many of the connections between boards are from buttons that are nested down inside multiple groups.

This new change means there's currently no way to see all the connections of just that board at a glance.

Dragging the selection tool across them does nothing, because they're all nested in groups further down the hierarchy, so it reveals no links.

Using CTRL A to select all the artboards does display them all, but the huge tangle of links from all the boards makes it mostly unusable (it's also pretty un-intuitive, as I never would have figured that out if I didn't see it here).

I just hope there's something in pipeline soon that helps us reveal prototyping links in a better way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 5
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loren6116 you put together the point very well!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. Showing ALL wires of all artboards is NO solution. I´m lost in blue lines.

I hope the old concept will be reintroduced! Currently I don´t see why it can`t go together with the new properties Inspector.

Honestly I´ve seen no real advantage of it so far.

The properties inspector could get a feature displaying all transitions of an artboard.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan

thanks for going through this and I really appreciate the effort to bring in new features (the inspector in Prototype will change a lot workflow in a positive way IMO).

Anyway the issue pointed out here is something you need to consider and bring back the select artboard > see wires since it was such a good flow feature and I think can still be there integrated with new stuff.

Hope you'll find a solution soon.

Cheers

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 0
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 2
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be the "bring back the old version" switch/checkbox instead of the "not really good working new version with additional features". This would be the (maybe) fastest solution, but I think a much better way would be the "show all wires (old version)" switch together with the improved, and bugfixed new one that could understand groups in groups with wires.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for sharing your feedback! (The team really appreciates it)

Our intent wasn't to slow you down! However, I do acknowledge that this specific change has probably made interaction management a bit tedious, especially with trying to view all interactions or interactions within a nested group.

We kicked off work on our end to explore a few options that gets you the best of both worlds. I will make sure to share an update on this thread once we have a solution that we plan to ship with a future update. I will post a video / screenshot of the fix and give you'll an opportunity to help us ensure the update gets you back on track with wiring in XD!

Again, thank you for all the feedback!
You can reach out to me for any XD related questions on Twitter as well - Jonathan Pimento (@jonathanpimento) | Twitter

Thanks,

Jonathan Pimento
Sr. Product Manager, Adobe XD.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 4
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear mr. Pimento,

The problem with the invisible links between screens is not just another user disappointment from people that are used to the old way. Hiding of the connections between screens in prototype mode makes your product unusable.

Please, restore immediately the old way of working with the interactions because you are loosing your users.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exploring new solutions means we will be forced to use XD version 19 instead of the latest version.

It also means new solutions will be explored before reverting XD wiring to it's prior behavior.

Please revert to the prior behavior in the latest release before exploring "new solutions".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2019 2
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No visibility to existing wired connections = No productivity!

Adding to the thread.  Bring back ASAP the ability to see all wired connections between screens/symbols, groups etc. My team has no idea what is functionally wired together now and it is like groping around in the dark having to touch every element to see what is connected or not connected. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has also suddenly become an issue for me with the latest update!

While I like the new Properties in the side panel feature, the loss of the display of interaction wires when an artboard is selected has negatively impacted my productivity and overall speed using the app.

I had to look online to find a solution and noticed the Select All keyboard shortcut helps, but it shows all wires on all artboards which is a nightmare when there are very complex wires everywhere, so it's not always viable.

Unless I use the Select All feature now, I have no other way of viewing the interactions I have in place, but it doesn't display as effectively as selecting a single artboard, and also groups of interactions are now difficult to determine. Someone mentioned dragging across the artboard elements, but this can get messy, inconvenient and risk errors.

Perhaps some sort of interaction management section should exist? Like a list of interactions as objects in the side panel for example. If I select an artboard in the current updated version, I see the interaction properties for the artboard, but can also see all the interactions contained within that artboard as well, and potentially be able to edit them there too. Either that or some other interaction management system.

Hopefully the ability to see the interaction wires again on an artboard returns as soon as possible!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2019 1