Highlighted

Prototyping multi-screen applications in XD?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm working with a product which includes an interface which controls content of at least two other screens. Is this kind of prototype possible to do in XD?

e.g. Can I initiate some kind of script that would switch windows on my two other screens? I'm working with adobe XD for windows 10.

Br, Niko

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Prototyping multi-screen applications in XD?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm working with a product which includes an interface which controls content of at least two other screens. Is this kind of prototype possible to do in XD?

e.g. Can I initiate some kind of script that would switch windows on my two other screens? I'm working with adobe XD for windows 10.

Br, Niko

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 26, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Niko,

Thank you for reaching out. If I heard you correctly, it looks like you're trying to connect multiple screens in prototype mode. If that is correct, could you please check out this article?: Learn how to create interactive prototypes in Adobe XD that you or others can use to validate the us... and let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this is not exactly what I want to achieve.

I made this illustration to elaborate my objective. So, the setup would have three screens and the user would interact with only one of them. The interactions on that screen would determine what is displayed the second and third screen.

I hope this clarifies what I need to do.

Multi-display-prototype.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I am looking on your illustration I see 4 big artboards with rectangles on them that can present separate screens

Why not create one artboard and introduce each screen with separate rectangle? That means you will have three rectangles for each artboeds and they can mimic A, B, C (Screen=Rectangle).

When you will click on H Screen prototype will display second artboard where on rectangle you will see H screens.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your reply got me thinking that maybe I could prototype this by having my laptop screen multiplied on multi-screen setup. I will have the rectangles on the side of the screen and just ignore them on the second and third display. Not the perfect solution but viable for this purpose.

As I thought before posting my question: It can't be that difficult, right?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2019 0
Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My gut is saying that it will get very complex very fast to do in XD. I think you can do it, but as you map out the combinations you will find the number becomes huge. Depending on the interaction, you might be able to quickly place the static screens into some web pages and wire them up with JavaScript (all outside of what XD does). You would be building the prototype yourself and not using XD's features. This could give you the logical control you might need to generate your prototype.

Another option would be to use Adobe Animate. It had a scripting language and can work with the exported elements. It was my go to prototyping tool for many of my projects.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2019 1
Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. "I'm working with a product which includes an interface which controls content of at least two other screens. Is this kind of prototype possible to do in XD?"

In Xd is possible to create any prototype that mimic the final app for introducing for developers. All technical support of the final app is for back=end and only developers can realize that script in life

2. e.g. Can I initiate some kind of script that would switch windows on my two other screens? I'm working with adobe XD for windows 10.

If you can do that for working final product that is possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2019 1