Highlighted

Prototyping tools are missing the mark (I'd rather be coding)

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a UX/UI designer who can also code (11+ years). XD is a great design tool but before it goes down the wrong path like other prototyping tools, I'd like to address something fundamental. 

Prototyping tools need to mimic how HTML, CSS, and JS used on the WWW. I should have a library of basic HTML elements to drag/drop on to my canvas with their natural functionality and states baked in (that I can easily adjust). I shouldn't have to custom create states and functionality if i'm not creating a custom element. 

I'd much rather be coding than using these prototyping tools (UXPin, Proto.io, Protopie, etc). They are all missing the mark and making me create JS logic that I shouldn't have to create for a simple HTML element. The only tools that I see come close to the needs of HiFi prototyping are Webflow and maybe Dreamweaver (although I wouldn't use it for coding). 

Don't go down the wrong path Adobe XD. Please.

TOPICS
Code, Missing feature, Other, Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Prototyping tools are missing the mark (I'd rather be coding)

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a UX/UI designer who can also code (11+ years). XD is a great design tool but before it goes down the wrong path like other prototyping tools, I'd like to address something fundamental. 

Prototyping tools need to mimic how HTML, CSS, and JS used on the WWW. I should have a library of basic HTML elements to drag/drop on to my canvas with their natural functionality and states baked in (that I can easily adjust). I shouldn't have to custom create states and functionality if i'm not creating a custom element. 

I'd much rather be coding than using these prototyping tools (UXPin, Proto.io, Protopie, etc). They are all missing the mark and making me create JS logic that I shouldn't have to create for a simple HTML element. The only tools that I see come close to the needs of HiFi prototyping are Webflow and maybe Dreamweaver (although I wouldn't use it for coding). 

Don't go down the wrong path Adobe XD. Please.

TOPICS
Code, Missing feature, Other, Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 27, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for your feedback. In my opinion, I do not think that Adobe XD will be headed in the direction you desire any time soon. What Adobe XD allows you to do is create a prototype that can be converted to an application or website using a language and software of your choice. It helps envision the interaction for stakeholders and allows for early feedback preventing confusion and saving time during development. In that sense, XD can evolve to design for any future paradigm while not limiting itself to a language or program. 

Again, my opinion entirely. I would love to hear what the experts here have to say.

Thanks,

Preran

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe XD is right on track with their directions and intentions.

And I fully agree that this is not the direction you'll be happy with...

Adobe XD falls in the liberal league of software that chooses between designing (wireframes, prototypes) OR building (developing, coding), and XD picks the design stage. Other tools (like Webflow, WOcode, and in a certain sense even WordPress) try to elegantly combine these two stages and disciplines into one project. They will do the heavy-lifting coding based on presets, templates and frameworks, which you can alter, of course. But working this way requires a lot of going up and down the design-and-build stages. Since developers are more scarce (and therefore expensive), tools to postpone this building stage as long as possible are very effective !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2020 0