• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Soft Return" on text - adds paragraph spacing, versus just line space

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to use the key command SHIFT + RETURN to add a "soft return" to a line of copy in a paragraph. However when I use SHIFT + RETURN it breaks the line as wanted, but adds the paragraph spacing assigned to that paragraph. Not sure if this feature is not available in XD. If not...does that mean I need to set up a separate text box every time I want to use a return, but not have the paragraph spacing applied? Before and After states in image below. Help.

Before_After.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I do return (or shift return - no difference) the text breaks to a new line without any spacing... Are you on the latest XD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am on the latest version. In your example, do you have any paragraph space applied? That would show the difference between standard line space and a new paragraph.

My settings are 20 point type, on 25 leading...with 20 after paragraph. If you do a "hard return" the paragraph spacing is applied...typically a "soft return" does not apply the paragraph spacing. This is standard in their other programs: InDesign, Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ken, any updates on potentially adding the soft return feature in anytime soon? It's a real pain, especially with creating bulleted lists. The inability to control tabs/intends and soft returns is really cumbersome. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per the original commenter, this behaves like a bug. When I am activly editing the text, shift-return works as it does in Illustrator or InDesign. Only after applying the text changes the spacing changes from soft returns to all full returns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I have a feeling that this used to be in there. But going around I think my memory is making up stuff and applying other software experiences. Odd how this simple thing is in the comment editor but not the program.

But yeah, text is generally overlooked in Xd. Makes me sad seeing that typography plays a massive role in UX design

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, Adobe please add Soft Return & Indent Tabs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines