• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Request: Allow Adobe XD to access Adobe common files font folder

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for XD to access fonts placed inside Adobe's common files folder? I use this folder so I can load fonts only when I'm working on projects. Fonts under the common files folder does not show up in XD which makes the process of choosing the right font inside XD a real pain. I just need XD to behave like the other Adobe products and make the common files fonts available for use.

Is anybody else having this problem? Is there a workaround? I do not want or need tons of fonts installed under Windows.

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which applications and how are you already using that Common Files folder (on Windows) ?

It's not a common practice to do it that way, so it might not be technically viable (for Adobe XD).

You also mention "I just need XD to behave like the other Adobe products", but with Adobe XD there's a problem with getting these fonts available for use in online media like web (even previews) and apps. In many other Adobe applications, fonts are being rendered in an image or video, or embedded into a PDF. But with online media like the web as a preview vehicle, fonts can't freely or easily be used for online distribution. Font foundries won't allow that and will be fiercely defending such an abuse, both technically and legally. They've been doing that for many centuries, so don't expect them to change their stance just because we'd like that...

Companies like Adobe, Apple, and Microsoft often allow you to use certain fonts (they picked up the license price tab for us) but that's often just for Desktop use. You can see below how other uses are licenced, and the respective prices for e.g. the Caecilia font family:

font pricing.jpg

I know, these font foundries are like fat cats, living easy off these licenses...

But fortunately, Adobe has struck a deal with many of them to let you use their fonts at least for desktop and online desiging and previewing, and even distributing (the latter to a certain degree). And that's why Adobe Cloud Fonts (as part of your Adobe CC subscription) are so important and useful !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response.

I have used this method with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and After Effect. I believe it is one of the "official" ways you can utilize them. I only did a quick search and found this: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/fonts.html. I'm sure there's also documentation elsewhere since I've been doing this for years.

I use Adobe XD as intended, to design websites. I am familiar with font usage and of course my licenses for the fonts I intend to use covers webfonts (which format are also provided by the foundries--so I don't need to generate them myself). My fonts from Adobe also shows in XD as expected. We don't always have to use everything from Adobe, you know. 🙂

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using this folder is indeed a valid method for those grand and popular applications. Using the general Fonts folder (both on Mac and Windows) is the most obvious method, but I can imagine you'd like to stay a bit clear from that international fonts infested shoebox...

And good to read that you're well aware of the licenses jungle. 🙂

But I'm afraid Adobe XD doesn't follow suit for many reasons:

• it's a new app with new paradigms towards interface and technologies,
  • it's about the web and all its technically and legally tricky font stuff,
  • it prefers everything in the cloud, so everything can be measured.

You could try submitting a request at https://adobexd.uservoice.com/ (As a matter of fact, there are many things to be wished for regarding fonts in XD.) But I have no high hopes for you. It's the end of the era of desktop fonts, I guess...

On a sidenote: did you know you can also use fonts for a project in the Fonts folder of your InDesign and Illustrator Package folder ? They'll be activated automatically upon opening the native file in the package. This can truly help to keep any other fonts folders efficient and lean 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines