• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reset to Main State does not carry over edited nested components

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting to main state not carrying over nested components that have been edited is a huge pain.  When developing an entire app it's quite crippling to have set up a bunch of pages or screens using components with nested components only to find out that when you edit the master one, you can't reset the others to it without their nested components going back to the nested components specific default.  I'll try to explain with an example...

1.  Take a simple text item and make it a component

teichhorst_0-1596815221232.png

2.  Nest this compnent within another component.  For this example I used a box.

teichhorst_1-1596815340827.png

3.  Duplicate the box component with the other components inside, changed the background color to tell the two apart.

teichhorst_2-1596815402161.png

4.Change one of the nested components within the master Box component and you can already see the issue, the change doesn't carry over to the red box.

teichhorst_3-1596815484209.png

5. Try to fix this by right clicking the red box, and hitting "Reset to Main State" and the text box doesn't change, only the background color.

teichhorst_4-1596815578693.png

Is this on purpose?  It's a nightmare to work with larger apps where you may have nested components everywhere that you'd like to keep updated and consistent.  Maybe I'm missing a setting or am not doing this correctly?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Hi,

Thankyou for reaching out. Here you have use text component instance inside Box component ,which makes it nested component.  I would like to clear out the feature use :

1. If Nested component is made using instance of other main component. Then Instance of nested component depends on child main component and nested main component itself. If you want to reflect the changes made in child component then you need to change it's main component , otherwise changes made on child component inside ne

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thankyou for reaching out. Here you have use text component instance inside Box component ,which makes it nested component.  I would like to clear out the feature use :

1. If Nested component is made using instance of other main component. Then Instance of nested component depends on child main component and nested main component itself. If you want to reflect the changes made in child component then you need to change it's main component , otherwise changes made on child component inside nested will not reflect. Because child componet are instances, they work solely.

2. If Nested component  has both child and parent as main component. Then only changes made in child will reflect in other instances of nested component.

Solution:

Either you can first make box and make it component. Then enter into its edit mode , and write text and do Enter. 

And make that text a new component. Hence , you create a nested component .

Now whatever the changes you will do on Text will reflect on othere instances as well.

Whereas, there are many changes about to come in coming future release related to nested components only . But for now, the given solution would be helpful.

Please revert back if it is not clear to you.

Regards,

Anita Subedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes sense, but it strikes me as very odd that this is on purpose.  Hopefully down the line we get some options on how we would like nested components to behave.

At very least, clicking "Reset to Main State" should do exactly that to every nested component within a parent component.  Otherwise, if I make a change to a nested component i'm using in multiple places, I get different results all over my app mocks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have come up with what I think an awesome solution would be...

When resetting to main state, have 2 options...

Reset to Main State (Complete, Resets Nested Components according to Main Parent Component)

Reset to Main State (Soft, does not Reset Nested Components)

Something to that nature would be very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well it is designed purposely so that if  instance should act as asset and completely dependent on its main parent untill it get override. So, wherever user use the instances in nested , it will still reflects the changes of its main only. 

But if you want feature needs to be enhance , then you can raise your idea here Adobe XD: Feature Requests , and get upvoted for it, based on that it will be considered.

Regards,

Anita Subedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines