Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Responsive menu dashboard design without multiple duplicate screens

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if there's a more efficient way to create responsive (collapsing) menus without having to reorganize screen content to accommodate for extra space every time?

Ex. This is the default state with the menu open

alanah1_0-1591907342255.png

When the menu is collapsed it leaves this chunk of whitespace that makes the layout feel uncentered.

alanah1_1-1591907412558.png

To solve for this I've been manually duplicating all screens and redesigning the content to fill the space. So essentially every screen has an open menu version and collapsed menu version. I'm wondering if there's a more efficient way to do this? I've been using auto-animate to do all the transitions between open/collapsed states because with components I can't emulate the content expanding with the menu.

Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

There isn't a way to do this currently. I'm assuming you want it to work as YouTube currently works on a desktop.

As italosan pointed out, an overlay would be a solution, but it will be overlapping your other elements, instead of pushing them to the side, which is not what you need if I understand correctly.

With the way prototypes work you can't have such dynamic functionality like with html/css. 

For such situations I showcase the functionality on one screen and the rest are with either an open

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in this case I recommend you to use the overlay. I'll leave you a link that will come in handy for prototyping on Adobe XD. https://letsxd.com/prototyping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There isn't a way to do this currently. I'm assuming you want it to work as YouTube currently works on a desktop.

As italosan pointed out, an overlay would be a solution, but it will be overlapping your other elements, instead of pushing them to the side, which is not what you need if I understand correctly.

With the way prototypes work you can't have such dynamic functionality like with html/css. 

For such situations I showcase the functionality on one screen and the rest are with either an open menu or a closed one. If you want it to work on all screens, you need 2 versions for each screen with auto-animate. The other option would be a big component with 2 states that holds everything on the page, but that's obviously a bad solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines