Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

share links destroyed / disappeared if saving a new version of working file

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi.

i think new update broke this. as title says, after saving a file as a new version, selecting the "share" to update link shows a blank link, i.e. a new one has to be created.

this is problematic as in the past, this would not connect to all the client comments. essentially, a new link would show no comments when client reviews.

please confirm and fix asap!

the only way to make this work is to save new edits over current version to maintain the link, which is not what we want to do. we have time-sensitive projects that, needless to say, existing comments are crucial.

TOPICS
Missing feature , Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Yes this is an intentional behavior of the team. As the same link creates a lot of confusion. If that saved as file was passed on to someone else, even they were updating to the same link this causing confusion and loss of data. That is the reason the team made the change whereby- save as of a doc will now not preserve existing links.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Having the same issue. XD forced a Save As and have lost all links. This is over 15 individual page links which contain client comments. I fortuanately forsaw this happening and made a duplicate file in finder just incase. This duplicate still has all links maintained, but i know have to copy all changes accross from the latest XD file to the duplicated version. This is a waste of time and is impacting our workflow. We need to maintain links through versions so we can track client comments and c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Yes this is an intentional behavior of the team. As the same link creates a lot of confusion. If that saved as file was passed on to someone else, even they were updating to the same link this causing confusion and loss of data. That is the reason the team made the change whereby- save as of a doc will now not preserve existing links.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, crud.

lesser of the 2 evils.

we currently have 2 workarounds, one is better than the other:

1) keep the same file always. make a copy of current layout(s) somewhere off the pasteboard. continue with changes to design. when ready, update link.

the potential problem to this is that if there are many rounds of changes, plus if there are many pages in the document, copies of the previous versions in the same file can get out of hand quickly. then you would have to consider this *one* file getting corrupted, so you'd have to create a backup of it.

2) a better solution: save and close the working file completely. from the desktop, make a duplicate of that file and rename to new version. open the new dupe file and, voila! link is still there and updating it will be same as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, This is not working really well because its not a matter of saving a copy. I have to keep a phisical copy of my file and update it everyday and the company I work does not allow us to use adobe cloud. So if I chose to just save my files locally, everytime I save my file, I lose the link of my shared prototype. For me this is a major issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am calling this out, Adobe. I DID NOT Save As, and this morning made some file changes from a file that's been open, and then went to update and the link was GONE.  Now I have to relink all clients, and have to write all my notes. This is a very frustrating inconvenience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After working for a while on Adobe XD, I noticed that every time I close my file without saving, or if any power event happens, even when adobe XD closes and when you open it again, your file is there, and you continue working, it asks you to save as a copy. So you will lose your links or you will lose your last work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is perhaps the very dumbest thing Adobe has ever done...likened to burning all you negitives after you made a print?....there  was NO CONFUSION befoer when we were allowed to keep our orginal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2022 Jan 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jimmie8888,

We are sorry for the frustration. We will make sure to pass on the feedback with the team. You may also submit your feedback on our XD UserVoice page if you need the functionality back.

We are sorry for the incovenience.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This same problem is happening once again.  ...because NOW, you can't simply "Save" when updating a "Local Document"  when updating!  Adobe forces a "Save As..." when updating and performing a "Save" "Local Document", and this casues the XD "Local Document" to lose all Shar links!  COME ON ADOBE PLEASE FIX THIS!   I do NOT want to use your cloud to save MY documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having the same issue. XD forced a Save As and have lost all links. This is over 15 individual page links which contain client comments. I fortuanately forsaw this happening and made a duplicate file in finder just incase. This duplicate still has all links maintained, but i know have to copy all changes accross from the latest XD file to the duplicated version. This is a waste of time and is impacting our workflow. We need to maintain links through versions so we can track client comments and changes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines