Highlighted

[Share]-Unable to update existing link after filename is changed/ save as in XD.

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

With the latest update, now I'm unable to update my existing prototype link when I "save as" a new name for the file or change the file name?

After "save as", I only can "create a new link".

WTF adobe ??

Adobe XD version: 27.1.12.4

Machine: Macbook Pro Mohave 10.14.6

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Prototyping, Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

[Share]-Unable to update existing link after filename is changed/ save as in XD.

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

With the latest update, now I'm unable to update my existing prototype link when I "save as" a new name for the file or change the file name?

After "save as", I only can "create a new link".

WTF adobe ??

Adobe XD version: 27.1.12.4

Machine: Macbook Pro Mohave 10.14.6

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Prototyping, Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 19, 2020 6
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Khairul,

Thank you for reaching out. Yes, this is a new behavior that was introrduced. If you do the "Save As", XD will clear all existing links from the document. If the file is just renamed outside of XD (i.e. without a Save As), the links should persists.

Hence it is working as expected. Hope it answers your question. Let us know if you need further assistance on this.

We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

Why did Adobe change it? Is there any explanation for this?

This is a big issue for me who is changing/ "Save as" the file for versioning purposes.

eg; filename_v0.1 to filename_v0.2

Hence I have to change the prototype link each time to the client once I updated the design.

This makes the links management more tedious.

It would be best to revert the "save as" file feature without changing the prototype link as before.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2020 6
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,
This is a very bad decision!!

Please revert to the original behaviour.
If we want to make a new link we had already the option to do so.
Now this new system completly disturb all my dev team and my clients.

You know that designers keep saving their work under a new name before each big change (file1, file2 etc).
Why you know forbid this? It's impossible to work like this and simply update an already shared XD link.

I'm very very against your change.
Since the last update XD is giving me new bugs (High use of CPU, component update broken, sync doesn't work..) and now this..
I will put a feature request now for something that was working very well.. I don't get it..

I like(d) XD but I'm confuse now..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 20, 2020 6
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

Why did this new feature was introduce which made a huge impact with my team and client.

These links has been PRINTED on dev. documents. Appreciate to revert to the old feature please!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2020 4
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 21, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the feedback, Philip. I would request all of you to upvote the request to add your voice.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 24, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Harshika,

Yes I hope people will follow.
That said, why not simply use the XD preference panel, which is not used for now, and simply give us the choice to select our prefered behaviour?
Apparently the user base is divided and it won't be a good single option for everyone.
So I think the best is to give us the choice. Don't you think?

Thank you,
Phil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 24, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely Phil, I hope your request get more votes so that our team can look or provide feedback on it. However, XD doesn't have preference option as of now but there is a request raised for it here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353010-adobe-xd-bugs/suggestions/17576923-preferences-grayed-ou... You may also upvote the request to add your voice.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 24, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika.

Thanks. But this request is archived and won't accept votes or comments anymore.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi XD team,

I've encountered a bug with the sharing feature (Development View) where

1) my updates do not get reflected in the shared Web Document

2) the option to "Update Link" in the Shared Links folder is greyed out

I had to create another shared link in order to see the option to "Update Link", and can't use the original link anymore.

Please help see if there's some bug leading to this behaviour. I can't create a new link each time I update the document.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2020 2
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thanks for highlighting that, you may raise a new request for the same issue and share the link with me here for tracking purpose.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alvin,

I understand it could be confusing. It seems to be that you're experiencing the similar issue mentioned in this post: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/share-unable-to-update-existing-link-after-filename-is-chang... If so, please share your feedback and upvote the request to add your voice.

If no, please confirm if it's happening with a specific file or all the files? We will try our best to help.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 26, 2020 1
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do i fix this issue so can send this to my client?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the inconvenience. As of now you can copy the previous design and the new changes that you made in the document into a new document and create a new link for the file and share with your client.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried this and it doesn't work. I tried creating new links in a new document and they're still greyed out even. Any tips?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for trying the steps. We are following up with you here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/share-unable-to-update-the-links-in-xd/td-p/11024070?page=1. Please share the information on the post so that we can give full attention to your post.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also really against this change. I iteratively save my work with 'save as' and enjoy keeping the same link for my numerous devs and clients. This totally messes up my work flow and I cant see why this would be a benefit to anyone... Really hoping this gets changed back ASAP.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 24, 2020 6
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WAKE UP PLEASE, There is a big concern about sharing online.
Each time a new link is created!? !!!
No follow-up, it sends an email to each modification !!!
This is a big big problem with online sharing.
Don't give up, find a solution.

Really hoping this gets changed back ASAP.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 10, 2020 2
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

This was very bad decision. It impacted on our whole team (13 UX Designers + 3 UI Designers). Now we have mess in links, because links are propagated in numerous task, stories, confluence pages. This is huuuge obstacle to us.

I don't know why you've done this. Instead of leaving choice to users, you forced us to go only your way. Earlier if someone wanted to create new link, he was able to. Now we all have to copy all artboards to last file, which have correct link.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 25, 2020 7
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a major issue for my team. We use "Save As" for version control, but we try to keep links persistent as they are shared with a team of 20+ people in several different countries and we want to make sure everyone has the most up to date link all the time. Now if we accidentally hit save as, we have to back track and re-do all our changes in the old version of the document. It has been a massive inconvenience. Users should have the choice to remove links from the file if they want, but cutting them off without warning is disruptive and unintuitive. 

Users should be given more control over links, such as being able to choose any extant link to push an update to, regardless of which file originally created it. Instead the ability to choose links to update is being artificially limited. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2020 3
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe,

please redo this change. 

It is our workflow to create new versions in xD (V01, V02, etc.) and then just update the link for our customer.

Please change this back or make it at least optional to delete the links with every new save/name change.

Best Regards

Aron

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aron,

We understand your concern and thanks for sharing your feedback. We'd suggest upvoting the link shared above and submit your feedback so that our engineering team can look into your request

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

As a company, we rely on XD comments to record functionality notes and conversations through certain phases of a project (given the pinning feature). However, now when we save a new version of a file, the capacity to update the previous link disappears. This never used to be an issue, the link would just follow you regardless of the numbers of versions you saved. Any one else had this issue? Is it a glitch or they've developed this option out of XD?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Hannah

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for reaching out. This is a new behavior that was introduced. If you do the "Save As", XD will clear all existing links from the document and you will need to create a new link. If the file is just renamed outside of XD (i.e. without a Save As), the links should persist.

Having said that we have received a similar request on our XD UserVoice page, I'd request you to upvote this request: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/39763342-option-to...

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases. 

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, echoing everyone else's sentiments re how annoying this is gone. Thanks for the work around in the meantime!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me inform about some of the concerns I am having while using Adobe XD :

1. The links created/published are suddenly not updatable. And, have to create new links then, which is hampering the flow of the deliverables.

2. Sometimes given comments (in the published XD links) are just disappearing without resolving the same which is hampering the records of work. 

3. Frequent updates.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ananya,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please help me with a few more details like:

1. The version of Adobe XD.
  2. Could you please confirm if you are unable to update the link after doing a "save as"? If that's the case, it is working as expected. If we modify the file and just save it, it will give an option to update the link however if we do a save as then it will give an option to create a link.
  3. Regarding the disappearing of comments, is it happening with a specific file or multiple files?
  4. Regarding the frequent updates, we are committed to enhancing the performance of XD that is why we keep pushing updates regularly. However, I'll share your feedback with the team

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 12, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Rishabh. Adobe XD is a great software and it solved many of our (designers') concerns while working for different applications. Still, some issues mentioned above are bothering me/us. It will be really helpful if those are resolved. I am trying to describe my views/replying to your queries below :

1. At present I am working on the latest version of XD. The issues were happening through past 2/3 weeks or a bit more.

2. The link update didn't take after any 'save as' or file sharing. After some XD update, some XD links were just not updating and had to create new.

3. Regarding the disappearing of comments, it happened for a few file links, not for all. For an instance, it happened just in front of my eyes within a few minutes : The comment I put in a link disappeared just after I updated the link from XD file and refreshed the link in browser within a few minutes.

4. "The updates are for enhancing the performance of XD" - understood. But this update doesn't come to us all on same day and not with a prior information. Hence, if a team is working on some cloud files or local files by sharing among each other, they have to wait for all the team members to have that update to be done, which delays timeline.

5. Adding a new point here : whenever anyone comment on a particular XD link (the XD file of which I am the owner), a mail from XD comes to my (or to anyone's) Inbox which notifies me about the comment and remind me to check the link for the same. The same notification comes to the 'Creative Cloud Desktop'. But, for some links I didn't get some of the notifications though I can see all of them in the 'Creative Cloud Desktop' notifications. Since I usually check these from my Inbox only, I am confused to depend upon the same now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree to Ananya, I experience the loss of the link very often. But not sure whether this really only when using "save as".

Workaround: if I want to rename the XD-file I simply make a copy in Explorer and rename it there. Then the links are kept. I NEVER use "save as".

Nevertheless it would be realy helpful to be able to force XD to use/overwrite an existing link.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ananya,

I am so sorry for the delay in response. Regarding the update and comments issue, we will need to test this on our end. Will it be possible for you to share a sample file and the link with us? If yes, you can add the file in a DropBox or any cloud storage and share the link either here or you can send a direct message by clicking on my name. 

Note: While sending the DM, please add this discussion link in the subject.

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the workaround, I am sure it will help other community members. If I talk about the other aspect that is unable to update the link after doing a "save as", it is working as designed.

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

"working as designed" does not mean its a good UX.

You may push the user to create a new link once he has chosen "save as" but PLEASE add the ability to use the original link as well.

regards EssZett

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in response. I understand there is always a scope of improvement so let me assure you, I will share your feedback with the Engineering team and you can do that by upvoting this request: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/39763342-option-to...

This is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Khairul, have you found a solution to this problem? By the way, I have also faced this issue.
Creating a new link solves this problem. But I don't want to make a new link because this link is shared by a lot of peoples. 

Plz help me out
https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/unable-to-update-xd-file-development-link/m-p/11193354

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 09, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Khairul,

Sorry for the trouble you're facing while publishing the link. I have replied to your post that you shared as the error you are getting is not related to this post.

Hence keeping them separate. I will follow up with you on your original post.

Thanks,

Harshika

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2020 0