Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

square grid is not visible

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I try settings on the right side (Grid > Square), no square grid appears. At the same time, column grid works perfectly.

The automatic setting on Square size is 8 and nothing appears when I use this value. Only when I change the value into 10 for example, I get a grey grid with tiny squares.

What I want to obtain is a standard square grid that everyone gets automatically with standard settings.

Regards,

Karolina

TOPICS
Design , How to , Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

The problem is the zoom level. At 20%, there are issues when trying to render 8x8 px squares. Each square might become smaller than a pixel when you are zoomed out, so it hides them entirely. That's why when you make them bigger, they show up, but some still render blurred out. You shouldn't have a problem if you view the artboard at 100%.

The layout grid works because it's fewer and mostly vertical lines, and renders more easily. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is the zoom level. At 20%, there are issues when trying to render 8x8 px squares. Each square might become smaller than a pixel when you are zoomed out, so it hides them entirely. That's why when you make them bigger, they show up, but some still render blurred out. You shouldn't have a problem if you view the artboard at 100%.

The layout grid works because it's fewer and mostly vertical lines, and renders more easily. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right. Which size settings in square grid should I use in order to obtain a grid generated authomatically grid (in 50% view) like in column grid that works perfectly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My aim is to obtain as original square grid as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what original means, but it depends on what you need for the design. It's subjective and specific to each project. 8px grid size shows up at 50% for me, although it's really small and it will get in your way. Maybe 16px will work better for your case.

I personally don't really use the square grid, but mostly set the layout grid with bigger columns and gutters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Will check this. Thank you so much for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing, how do I set gutters in xd? (windows 10)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By original I mean: a basic square grid view, as just after opening xd and switching on square grid, without changing grid settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can set the gutters when you switch to layout grid, there's a Gutter Width variable, which you can change. Also, you can make any square or layout grid "original", or default, by clicking the Make Default button at the bottom of that panel. Just set something you are comfortable working with and use that 🙂

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines