Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

States not working

Advisor ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find using states very unstable and troublesome. Here's an example:

I have three states: Default, open, closed. On the default there's a single text and an arrow so people can click it to go to the open state that contain more info. The closed state is clicking the arrow again to close and go back to default. However, the issue is that the arrow doesn't change to defalt state cause the open arrow remains instead. I have made two different arrows but it never follows the states. I've tried not linking the arrow and link the text instead but with no result. Also, there's no way of adding text to the open state cause each time I click the open state to edit it the whole thing skips back to default state! It's so annoying. I'm unable to just select a state and STAY there to edit it cause when I do that it ALWAYS goes back to default and the right section of the UI leaves the states section and goes back to design mode. I only get ONE chance to make the states and that's it. In addition to this I'm often unable to pick states when linking in prototype mode, instead all I get is artboard options. And yes, I have states to link in the document. This whole states section is so buggy.

I know your gonna ask if I made components and followed the steps etc etc. All I can say is YES.

W10 all up to date

XD 30.1.12.4 - no updates available

TOPICS
Prototyping

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

I think I recall having a similar issue with states in the past.

To avoid glitches, you should add all elements to the default state, and hide the unused ones. Then add new states and unhide elements in the other states as needed. Also make sure the names of animated elements stay the same between states. You should post screenshots of different states with layers, so we can see what's happening, or copy the element to a different file and maybe share it like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for reaching us.

Will it be possible for you to share the file or a small video of the workflow. It will help us to understand what exactly is happening at your end.

Thanks,

Asha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I can't share this project due to corporate ownership rights. But what's unclear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I recall having a similar issue with states in the past.

To avoid glitches, you should add all elements to the default state, and hide the unused ones. Then add new states and unhide elements in the other states as needed. Also make sure the names of animated elements stay the same between states. You should post screenshots of different states with layers, so we can see what's happening, or copy the element to a different file and maybe share it like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I have tried to hide elements like I think you are suggesting by setting the opacity slider to 0 and then to 100% on the state where I want it to appear. The problem is that XD is acting very unstable and as mentioned it doesn't allow me to select a state more than once, being the first time I set it up, without everything snapping to default and then the whole states and component panel collapses and the text Component is grayed out. This must be a bug? I have experienced this on several occations in prior XD versions as well. I'm on W10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines