• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There is no "open file" dialogue in XD 31??

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I open a local file? What the heck. I must be blind. I'm in XD 31. On launch I see Cloud Documents, Shared with you, Deleted, and then a section for Recent. But the file I want is not recent, and there is no "open file" button on the UI. So I went to File > Open and it brings up a modal which has Recent, Cloud, Shared with you again. Where the heck is "open file" so I can open something I created on my machine? I must be missing something or this is an egregious error. How is this possible to be missing an "open file" dialogue? Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble, we'll try our best to help you with that. Could you please try creating a new document and check if you are getting an option to open the file from there or if you are on home screen please try opening using the shortcut ⌘ + Shift + O for macOS and CTRL + SHIFT + O for Windows and let us know if you are able to open the file

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble, we'll try our best to help you with that. Could you please try creating a new document and check if you are getting an option to open the file from there or if you are on home screen please try opening using the shortcut ⌘ + Shift + O for macOS and CTRL + SHIFT + O for Windows and let us know if you are able to open the file

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can get to recent files either from the homescreen or when I use Command + O. I can't get to files already created on my machine now unless I use SHIFT Command O which is crazy. Why is the button directly on the UI missing to do something so basic? This is a very annoying change to a basic UI function. I will never be using cloud to store documents, ever. We have our own cloud solution for enterprise. Adobe is pushing for cloud usage at the expense of super basic elemental UI. Very disappointed and puzzled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Adobe Inc.
Adobe World Headquarters in San Jose, California
Total assetsUS$20.76 billion (2019)
Total equityUS$10.53 billion (2019)
Number of employees22,635 (2020)

I dont understand how a open file feature is missing in company like this. See the charts above. 
Bear with me on this : Its like designing a jacket without neck hole. And we users request a neck hole in jacket so we can wear it. Adobe support in the mean time : U can wear ur jacket reverse or something stupid.

Sometimes I feel this 22 thousand people are lacking basic IQ. Such a shame. Ewww!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're looking for File > Open from Your Computer (Cmd–Shift–O).

File > Open (Cmd–O) is for recent files and cloud documents only.

I'd love to be able to control which is the default for Cmd–O, but there are no preferences. If you'd like to provide feedback and create a feature request for this, feel free to do so at https://adobexd.uservoice.com

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is nuts, honestly. Where is a simple button in the UI for "open from computer"? This should be the default, not Adobe's cloud, which should always be secondary. Am I right in thinking that the button to open a local file was removed in the latest version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link to uservoice. I found a similar request for this and added my input. However, even though we pay for Adobe CC, it's little things like this that feel bad faith and are lining up the seemingly inevitable standardization in our org on Sketch. I went to bat for XD though. That fight might be over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I completely understand your frustration. Could you please share the UserVoice link that you upvoted here so that our other customers can also upvote the same UserVoice link?

I will also make sure to pass on your feedback with our team to make improvements in the future.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After an internal discussion, we are moving off of XD and standardizing on Sketch, so unfortunately it no longer matters. Adobe CC is tolerated but not loved, that is for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe I wonder if you guys are willfully detestful of your users. As long as shareholders are happy amirite?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines