Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Too many components = slow document. Need advice

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi XD team and community,

I am aware that using too many components/states will make XD significantly slower. And yesterday I also finally realised why my most recent document was getting corrupted over and over. It happened once I pasted in an artboard from another document with a ton of different components and states. I guess by pasting in that artboard I crossed some sort of a limit, therefore it corrupts.

Because of this today I'm working in another document, but with a lot of the same artboards used in the document previously mentioned. I've decided that it would be best to just ask here (before I mess things up again). Can you give me detailed advice for how to restore the speed in my documents and what I should do to prevent this issue from happening again in the future?

Example:

In the new document I'm counting 101 Document Assets. Several listed components are appearing 5x and when I hover over them, none of them have instances on the canvas.

My urge now is to just delete those but I tryed that about a month ago (working in a different document), when manually removing those components with no instances on the canvas resulted in that document being a complete mess. 

I'm sure it's just me doing something wrong here. Truth is, I enjoy working with XD and after the November update I can see many new possibilities for creating awesome prototypes using the component feature. However, I need advice on how I keep large documents with many componts and states fast and clean.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm I had the same probelm but I work with 100 to 1000 components so the delay on XD was significant.

I had to uninstall and go back to V25 to fix.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Andrew. Does V25 still have components and states?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue here as well. I can do everything just okay and the file size isn't even over 20MB but it took me 1 min just to open/change from one state to another. And If I have to split the files and linked them together, it would still lag so much more. Which is frustrating, because I need to set a prototype with the file. 

I too have been trying to find answers to this issue online, but came back with none. And was hoping someone here could help. But seems like this has no answers yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Avanti,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with XD while transitioning from one state to another. Would you mind sharing the OS and XD version of your machine? Would you mind checking the size of the images as well?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm currently running XD version 29.0.32.13 on Catalina. It's went slow just for this 1 component on a master asset file/DSM. No image, just vectors (max size of 350x230 px). It has 8 group layers (with at least 10 diff items in it). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone can point me to a video or website which explains in detail how to keep large documents with many components and states fast and clean that's fine with me as well. But I would appreciate it if someone could help out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't entirely know how it works, but I think part of the reason XD gets slow if you have lots of components with lots of states is that each instance of a component carries all the content for all its states wherever you put it (I could be wrong on this though). If you have lots of states with duplicated or just lots of content in each state, that is a LOT of extra stuff being carried along by a piece of UI that's not even using it! I remember one document I had contained a component that had 5 or 6 instances of another component inside of it. It also had multiple states. At one point I checked the assets panel and found that there were over 700 instances of the nested component in my document -- and I only had about 15 or so instances of the container component! Insanity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines