• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tutorial for Windows - Where's the Hand Tool?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a first time user of Adobe XD (free version) on Windows 10, I discovered the included Tutorial is problematic for several reasons.

1. On a regular 14" laptop screen - It is impossible to read the items in the workspace without zooming.
  2. Once I figured out HOW to zoom through experimentation, I see the first part of the tutorial tells me how to zoom ... well ... that is I can read it once I figure out how to see the bits which are now off the visible part of my workspace.
  3. OK - Let's try "zoom to selection". Ah. That does it. Now I need to figure out how to scroll and navigate within my workspace when something is too far left, right, up, or down.
  4. Yep. All the suggested zoom tricks work fine, but .... I still can't scroll.
  5. The Hand tool allows navigation and scrolling.  I press the space bar (I'm using a laptop only without a mouse other than my touchpad) and the hand tool appears.
  6. I stop pressing the space bar and the hand tool disappears.
  7. I try several combinations until I discover the following:
    1. Choose a tool - if the tool you're using ceases to allow the hand tool to show, choose another - it doesn't matter
    2. Hold down your mouse button.
    3. Simultaneously hold down the space bar.
    4. Now, locate a 3rd appendage which you will use to drag the hand around so you may scroll across the work area

QUESTIONS:

1. Why are there no scroll bars?
  2. Why can't I force the hand tool to stay selected until I'm ready for another tool?
  3. Did anyone actually attempt to perform this tutorial on several different devices and operating systems?
  4. If this tutorial wasn't tested for correctness, why was it included as the default tutorial?

VERY VERY VERY STRONG SUGGESTION: Make the Hand Tool an item you select on the tool bar on the left. Selecting another tool deselects the hand tool. As an option, leave the space bar/hand functionality.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and sharing your observation. I understand it could be annoying for you. I'd request you to please upvote the feature request for scrollbars in XD using this link: Scroll bars (horizonal / vertical) on the XD window's viewport – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs and add your voice.

I have posted the feedback request link on this forum post: Space bar doesn't work on Adobe Xd so, i'd request you to upvote the same.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should probably point out that the spacebar/mouseButton combo doesn't always work.

Also, it doesn't seem to work at all with the LEFT mouseButton.

It works "sometimes" with the RIGHT button.

If you just keep trying, eventually you'll be rewarded with the hand icon turning into a fist icon (making a grabbing motion).

At this point you'll be able to actually navigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. Allow me to correct myself. It works with the LEFT button and not the RIGHT button.

SUGGESTION - allows us to delete (or mark for deletion) posts and replies in this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try holding down both the space bar and Windows logo key at the same time to access the hand tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and sharing your observation. I understand it could be annoying for you. I'd request you to please upvote the feature request for scrollbars in XD using this link: Scroll bars (horizonal / vertical) on the XD window's viewport – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Request... and add your voice.

I have posted the feedback request link on this forum post: Space bar doesn't work on Adobe Xd so, i'd request you to upvote the same.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines