• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to change the order of the artboards in Adobe XD

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be a bug. I specify an order to the pages in prototype, save, update the design review link, and the order of pages at the link is the order in which the artboards were created, not the prototype order.

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Prototyping , Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Thanks Dan, I ended up deleting the artboard that was giving me issues and was not able to replicate the problem or see if it was greyed out on Share mode.

The main problem I was having was the order of artboards. They were out of order (spatially) but linked in the order I wanted under Prototype. I decided to reorder them spatially to see if that made any difference, and in doing so I noticed one of the boards had a faded back blue arrow, I guess indicating it was leading to two places. I'm onl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Could you please try the step shared in this discussion: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/adobe-xd-won-t-let-me-change-the-order-of-the-artboards/td-p...

Let us know if this helps or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, adding numbers to the artboard names did not fix the problem.

I also noticed if I have an artboard and want to exclude it from the prototype/link I cannot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Design Review will automatically include all the linked artboards necessary for the prototype to work, and exclude those which are not necessary (hence unlinked). You can see which artboards are involved (blue outlined ones), while setting the Share options. The order in which they are eventually presented with the arrows left/right doesn't reflect the way how they are positioned on your Design and Protoype canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dan, I ended up deleting the artboard that was giving me issues and was not able to replicate the problem or see if it was greyed out on Share mode.

The main problem I was having was the order of artboards. They were out of order (spatially) but linked in the order I wanted under Prototype. I decided to reorder them spatially to see if that made any difference, and in doing so I noticed one of the boards had a faded back blue arrow, I guess indicating it was leading to two places. I'm only linking artboards to artboards, no interactive elements within the boards, so logically having it go two places doesn't make sense. I unlinked that artboard and relinked it and now the order is fixed in share.

I did not see the "double arrow" before, so I'm not sure if there was an error where it was not displaying or if that's just human error on my part. Anyway moving the artboards around helped me see what was going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is Dan ?? 😉

Anyway, the multiple arrows are possible since a couple of versions ago. They indicate different triggers. A tap can Transition to one screen, and a drag can perform an Auto-animate. See (and set) the Interaction panel in the Properties. Or simply hit the Delete key when one of the arrows is selected, to get rid of it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha whoops! Interesting, thanks for the info Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This wasn't an answer - it isn't a fix and it isn't fixed..

The issue is the numbering of the artboards in several use cases cannot be updated:

1. You order the artboards in design mode for the layout and workflows you settle upon

2. You order them on the left hand layers list

THE PROBLEM IS:

3. The numbering on the shared link represents the order in which you created the artboards it seems - that is a very random set of numbering like 32,5,63,5,8 etc not the numbering you have ordered them in.
4. The export to PDF follows this same ordering chaos.

THE FIX WE WANT:

Is to reset the numbering to follow the order of the artboards, as they are now, not as they were created in (at least that's what I think is happening.)

...and lastly, as pointed out in the threads, this is ridiculous...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the original poster was happy enough with the above explanantions and suggestions. And she considered it done. But you're not content, yet.

There are several uses cases and purposes for having a certain order in the artboards.

The initial one is their ergonomic view on the canvas. That's an almost arbitrary one, spatially defined.

Then there's the Design and Developer Review (perceived as the prototype flows), mixed with a forced linear order for the artboard thumbnails underneath, in a left to right top to bottom sequence, as spread out on the canvas.

When exporting the artboards as a PDF, the sequence also follows this order.

It's indeed, a mess !

And it will never be satisfying enough to many or even anyone, to simply turn that spatial ltr/ttb into a PDF order. A design easily grows beyond just one row of artboards.

Using the list in the Layer panel would be a very good approach ! This order isn't used for anything else than the panel itself and the Z-index (stacking order) for the artboards. But since no one will be suing overlapping artboards, why not make it useful for the PDF ?

There are already two User Voice feature requests out there:

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/19515538-manage-ar...

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/35488336-export-to...

The latter describes the method of using the Layers panel order.

Hope this helps improving the functionality, soon.

In the meantime, it's relatively easy to shuffle artboards/pages afterwards in the PDF in Adobe Acrobat or even Preview (on a Mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having issues with this same bug.  I have reordered the art boards.  They are in order left to right, they are numbered, I have built a prototype which articulates which order they are meant to go in, they preview in the order they are in the project, and the order I have built the prototype in, but but the link puts the last art board first.  It was never first, it was always last.  The idea that the design review refuses to follow the built prototype is an extremely frustrating bug, and makes XD unworkable.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this problem from time to time, and sometimes I can fix it by removing all links in the prototype view, and then readding them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please share a screenshot capturing the artboards in prototype mode? We'll also need the version of XD. We'll try our best to help you with it.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines