• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to delete linked components from the component panel in XD.

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I can not delete some of my components any more. Right click on a component, the only options I have are 'highlight on canvas' and 'relink' or 'edit master in source document'. The component is not in my document any more, so I don't know why I can't delete them. Anyone has the answer?Schermafbeelding 2019-07-15 om 10.49.39.png

<The title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Hi All,

We are sorry for the trouble deleting the linked component. Unfortunately, we currently don't allow you to make local or delete a linked nested components because that impacts dependent parent components.

The team is working on it to make improvements in the future.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.. Still not fixed....

dylans96293689_0-1602496592422.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dylan,

Sorry to hear you are unable to delete the component from the asset panel. From the screenshot, it looks like you're trying to delete the linked component from the asset panel. Could you please confirm if you're able to delete the component which are not linked from the panel? I believe you should be able to delete the linked component from the file it is linked.

Let me know if that helps.

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have the same problem. When I try to copy a component to my artboard I just can´t delete it. It´s a bug, this happen with a linked components. Thank you!

Bug.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway why can't we have control on what we want to keep in our component list ?

It should have a clear separation : I do not need to see linked component in the list of my local documents.

It's a mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to delete the linked component but it doesn´t work. The component still working in my artboard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are sorry for the trouble deleting the linked component. Unfortunately, we currently don't allow you to make local or delete a linked nested components because that impacts dependent parent components.

The team is working on it to make improvements in the future.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to flag that this is still a major issue. I have an asset graveyard filled with assets where the 'library is missing' (though I downloaded the missing documents' and 'local' assets that have no instances on my board and cannot be deleted. I can't even move them to the bottom of the assets panel to get them out of the way! (when I try, it looks like it will move with a blue line to indicate the location and then doesn't.' This is a fundamental aspect of managing documents. Please continue to work on this for the user experience of user experience designers! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@HARSHIKA_VERMA wrote:

Unfortunately, we currently don't allow you to make local or delete a linked nested components because that impacts dependent parent components.

That statement is false! I was not able to delete linked components from my document assets even though they were not used anywhere in my document. Luckily, I stumbled on a workaround.

Workaround

Turns out, if you have enabled Document Assets > Sort By > Name (unlabeled icon button at the top-right of Document Assets), then XD no longer lets you delete linked components. However, as soon as you select Sort By > Custom Order, XD lets you delete them again. 🥳

This is clearly a bug and needs to be fixed. 🪳

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is great info. Thanks for following up!

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is very strange behaviour. I couldn't remove the list of components as mentioned here by others. There were only two options 'Edit Main in source' and 'Highlight on canvas'. 

However, when I clicked through all of them checking context menu (started from bottom to top, I don't know if any difference) the last one gave me the possibility to remove, and then I back to others which I couldn't and - voila - context menu enriched by 'Make local' and 'Delete' buttons. Is it magic? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that component was copied over from another document and wasn't actually a linked component

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a reminder that this is still an issue and needs to be fixed. I have several files that have these "orphaned" linked assets that can't be deleted or edited in a master document, because the master document is unavailable or no longer in existence. These are client files, and turning them over like this is a bit embarrasing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you guys going to fix this? Extremely annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody know how to fix this issue or if there is a solution for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same situation and I can't send them like this to the client, so I have to start another project. It's so disappointing that you don't even care about your customers' needs and this is such bad CX in my oppinion, because this issue has more than 2 years as I can see. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there I am having the same issue, I can't delete a component on my document assets. Do you know if this issue has been fixed in the latest xd update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inability to Delete Linked Components is usually because they are nested in some other Component. If you have other Components that you also want to Delete, then Delete those first and return to this Component to see if it can then be Deleted. If you have multiple levels of Component nesting, then you may have to make multiple passes through your Components.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines