Highlighted

Units for Character spacing

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I was just wondering in which unit the Character spacing are indicated in XD.

I do know that they are not px, unlike the line spacing.

Thanks for your help.

We're working in milli-ems, which is 1/1000th of the point size of the font. If you're from the web world, it's similar to ems, but just divided by 1/1000. Hope that helps!

-Elaine

TOPICS
FAQ, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Units for Character spacing

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I was just wondering in which unit the Character spacing are indicated in XD.

I do know that they are not px, unlike the line spacing.

Thanks for your help.

We're working in milli-ems, which is 1/1000th of the point size of the font. If you're from the web world, it's similar to ems, but just divided by 1/1000. Hope that helps!

-Elaine

TOPICS
FAQ, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 12, 2017 2
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laura,

As far as I know, the units used are points which you can read more about here:

CSS Font-Size: em vs. px vs. pt vs. percent / Kyle Schaeffer

Hope it helps

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2017 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Elaine

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 13, 2017 6
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Elainecc,

I may think that it is not too practical for working on a web project and give the specs for the dev team.

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 16, 2017 3
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would you provide an example? e.g. how does 0.2em line-spacing convert to character spacing in XD?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never got an answer so I'll just leave this here for the future.
As elainecc said it's just divided by 1000, in your case just multiply it by 1000 instead.

0.2em * 1000 = 200 line-height (in XD)

I'm usually just using this mixin in my projects: https://gist.github.com/wiseoldman/b7660e1acb39229f1d06db484506eeb4

@mixin letter-spacing($spacing) {

letter-spacing: ($spacing / 1000) * 1em;

}

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 31, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absurd. I have to do calculations to pass styles off to developers! Please translate, or give us the option to translate over to px or other units for spec'ing CSS

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2018 11
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I have to throw my support in for this opinion. Up until now I've recognized that it wasn't px and just winged it for the "real" value in CSS, but that's getting old, and I'm really surprised that this is what that dimension is. I've never heard of that unit, maybe it's the "best" objectively, but I find it absurd that you guys aren't giving us options here. We should be able to switch that to px and ems at the very least.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really stupid...

If I want to use 1.5px as character spacing, for 1.5px at default 14px, it translates to:

1.5px = 0.10714285714285714em

so I have to multiply by 1000 which is :

REALLY? I have to do all this just for my character spacing in px?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2019 5
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elaine,
Sorry but this is not solved.
This is the first time I heard about "mili-ems".

I just realized now that I was sending numbers like "-0.84px" to my devs team, thru the XD share link, which completly looks like a random number, and they even tend to not use it!.

On the shared file we have px/pt/dp option. It's more than obvious that we need the same units (+ mili-ems if you guys need it) on the application.

Thank you. This is a huge issue IMO

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2019 4
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know that I needed a calculator to use this programm...If adobe wants to make a better user experience for their users please change this to pixels, no one understands this system! For type / font systems styleguides this is a horrible user experience! Lately they just released "marketing features" for new users, instead of focusing in the users that use this professionaly...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2020 4