Highlighted

Usability testing - swipe gestures

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm designing an embedded (not mobile) application that involves swiping L/R to change the view, and also a swipe gesture that will bring up some onscreen controls.

I'm at the stage where I need to do some very basic usability testing to see how discoverable these gestures will be.  So far I can't find any way to test these basic things in XD, but I thought I'd ask before giving up on this...

This is what I want to test:

1. In the absence of on-screen prompts, will users naturally try swiping L/R to change the view?
  2. When trying to find other functionality (eg settings) will users discover a toolbar that appears by swiping down from the top of the screen?

To test these properly I need to implement drag L/R to change from one artboard to another (with no common objects between the two, so Auto animate isn't useful here).  I also need to define a screen area where drag down will add the toolbar as overlay to the current screen (right now I can only do this with a tap gesture).

If anyone knows of a way to do this in XD then it'd be great to know!  Otherwise, does anyone know of another tool that could get the job done?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kenneth Kawamoto | Adobe Community Professional

If you create a page 1 artboard with both page 1 and page 2 side by side (double width), then duplicate it to create page 2 and move page 1 + 2 to show page 2 in viewport, you can create a drag action with auto-animate. Not very elegant, I have to say...

This is more relevant perhaps:

Carousel / Side-scroll – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Usability testing - swipe gestures

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm designing an embedded (not mobile) application that involves swiping L/R to change the view, and also a swipe gesture that will bring up some onscreen controls.

I'm at the stage where I need to do some very basic usability testing to see how discoverable these gestures will be.  So far I can't find any way to test these basic things in XD, but I thought I'd ask before giving up on this...

This is what I want to test:

1. In the absence of on-screen prompts, will users naturally try swiping L/R to change the view?
  2. When trying to find other functionality (eg settings) will users discover a toolbar that appears by swiping down from the top of the screen?

To test these properly I need to implement drag L/R to change from one artboard to another (with no common objects between the two, so Auto animate isn't useful here).  I also need to define a screen area where drag down will add the toolbar as overlay to the current screen (right now I can only do this with a tap gesture).

If anyone knows of a way to do this in XD then it'd be great to know!  Otherwise, does anyone know of another tool that could get the job done?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kenneth Kawamoto | Adobe Community Professional

If you create a page 1 artboard with both page 1 and page 2 side by side (double width), then duplicate it to create page 2 and move page 1 + 2 to show page 2 in viewport, you can create a drag action with auto-animate. Not very elegant, I have to say...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 14, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can swipe to one direction but not multiple directions unfortunately.

Specify drag direction – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How - I can't swipe in any direction to do what I want!  Whenever I select the Drag trigger, it forces it to "Auto animate".  Since my two artboards do not share any common objects, nothing happens when I perform the drag gesture in the prototype.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2019 0
Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - yeah, I did try that.  It kinda works, but you can't swipe back in the opposite direction to get back to page 1.  You have to keep swiping in the same direction, which is really weird and confusing as the content moves in the opposite direction to your finger.

I'm wondering if After Effects might be of some use here?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2019 0
Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can swipe back if you attach the drag action to the page 1 + 2 group (you can't swipe back if you attach it to the artboard).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 14, 2019 0