Highlighted

Washed out colors after export in XD

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colors.pngHey, im trying to design something in XD and always after exporting to for example .png, colors are washed out.

I attached screenshot where you can see exported png (at left) and XD preview (at right).

As you see colors after export are less saturated and washed out than during designing in XD.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kenneth Kawamoto | Adobe Community Professional

XD is not colour managed. (It should be using sRGB throughout.)

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/17480899-color-management-set-color-profiles

But is your monitor configured to display sRGB correctly in the first place...?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Washed out colors after export in XD

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colors.pngHey, im trying to design something in XD and always after exporting to for example .png, colors are washed out.

I attached screenshot where you can see exported png (at left) and XD preview (at right).

As you see colors after export are less saturated and washed out than during designing in XD.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Kenneth Kawamoto | Adobe Community Professional

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/17480899-color-management-set-color-profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 13, 2019 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try exporting for different uses?

I'm wondering if XD treats Design and Web exports differently with an assumption one needs to be a smaller file size.
I tried some quick shapes on my system and couldn't see any great differences between the XD, design and web colours.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 13, 2019 2
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/17480899-color-man...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh you are right. I had default color scheme on my iMac instead of sRGB. Now when i switched, its displays colors right. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 14, 2019 3
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it actually SOLVE the problem for you, or just make it less pronounced?  I am having this same issue.  I switched my monitor from Standard to sRGB (I'm using a Dell U2410) and this made the difference less notable (which makes sense because it reduced the overall colorspace that my monitor is putting out).  However, the export still looks more muted when I present the images side by side.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused by your answer.  If XD is already using sRGB for its color space, then shouldn't that mean that the exported (or browser shared) representations would look the same as they render in the original program?  What effect would the display settings on your monitor have?  If it's receiving the same hex code from the exported file as it is from the original program, shouldn't they both display the same way when they hit your monitor?

I tested out switching my monitor (Dell U2410) from Standard mode to sRGB, but this uniformly muted all colors.  What does this setting on my monitor do?  Does it just compress the saturation levels?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. As mentioned above, we recommend setting sRGB as the color profile for monitors for the best viewing experience. If the display setting differs then the sRGB images used won't expand to the display's high color gamut. So as of now, I am afraid, this is the limitation which has been already been raised here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/17480899-color-man...

I'd request you to please upvote this request to add a voice to this feature request.

Regards

Rishabh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think that exactly answers my question.  It's not a concern for me whether or not XD is color managed, since it's already defaulted to sRGB.  Whether my monitoir is set to Standard mode or sRGB mode, the problem persists.  The exported (or web-shared) versions look muted compared to the way they look in XD.

Maybe I'd understand better if you could explain to me what exactly is happening when I put my monitor in sRGB mode.  It appears that this desaturates all the colors.  So, if I set my monitor to sRGB, and XD is exporting for web (also in sRGB) doesn't that mean that the image I see is being double desaturated, since it's going through multiple filtration steps?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 0
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The exported (or web-shared) versions look muted compared to the way they look in XD.

How are you viewing the exported image? Your browser/image viewer may not be displaying it correctly (or your monitor profile is wrong).

If it's a browser, this may help: https://cameratico.com/tools/web-browser-color-management-test/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 1