• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

We need a way to disable "smart" quotes when pasting text into XD text items

Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this would be a preference (it is in InDesign) or another "Edit > Paste without Quote Conversion" alongside "Edit > Paste", but for some applications it's critical that the "smart quoting" conversion not be done on paste.

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay in response. I am afraid the option isn't available in XD as of now. I would suggest raising a new feature request here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests and share the link here for tracking purpose.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Thanks, and I learned you can turn this feature off in the macOS keyboard system preferences.

So it's not really anything XD is doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reaching out. It looks like you are talking about this feature:https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/14595153-maintain-...

If yes, I'd request you to, please upvote this request as this is the best way of communicating with the Engineering and Product Management teams regarding issues and suggestions so they can be implemented in future releases. 

If that's not what you are talking about, I'd request if you can explain a bit more about the workflow, we'll try our best to help you with it.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, no, this is not about styling, but about the auto-conversion of double straight "dumb" quotes to "smart" (typographer's) quotes. What is needed is some way to paste into a text area without that conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay in response. I am afraid the option isn't available in XD as of now. I would suggest raising a new feature request here: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests and share the link here for tracking purpose.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until there is an actual preference to enable/disable, here is a fix:

Type or paste the quote into your text and when it automatically turns to a smart quote, press Command-Z (macOS) to "undo" and it will revert back to a non-smart quote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, and I learned you can turn this feature off in the macOS keyboard system preferences.

So it's not really anything XD is doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beautiful! Thank you, Chris! Great find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your findings. This will definitely help our customer to fix the issue. Please feel free to reach out to us in the future for any query related to XD in the future.

We are here to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am looking for a solution to this using InDesign on Windows. I tried the Ctl+Z method and it undoes the paste rather than undoing the smart quotes. I am copying and pasting technical information using single and double straight quote marks to denote feet and inches because the font I need to use does not include prime and double prime characters. 

I did find a sub-optimal solution, which is to open Preferences>Type and then uncheck "use typographer's quotes,"whenever I need to copy and paste text that includes foot and inch marks. This retains both straight and curved quotation marks when copying and pasting, but requires me to remember to type alt+[ or alt+shift+[ whenever I need to type actual quotation marks or apostrophes in new text.

Wondering if I need to submit a new feature request to ask for the ability to toggle the typographer's quotes preference separately for the clipboard vs. typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines