• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When using a component in a repeat grid you can't update text field (in component) with a text file drag and drop

New Here ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When using a component in a repeat grid dragging and dropping a text file onto a text field contained within the repeated component doesn't update the textfields:

Expected behaviour:

- The textfield in each of the repeated components should update to reflect the data

Actual behaviour:

- Only the (selected) textfield in the selected component instance updates

Operating system: Mac

XD Version: Latest

Any ideas? Feels like this is a bug.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

I get the same. If I ungroup the component instance and group it as normal group, then repeat grid it, it works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the same. If I ungroup the component instance and group it as normal group, then repeat grid it, it works as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip this worked for me! Strange that you have to do that to get it to work thought, hopefully they are working on a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do turn your grid back into componnets so you can edit them after you drag in your text? Im having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to switch an element back to a component once you have ungrouped it from the component. I ended up just ditching the dynamic text until the rest of the design is fully nailed down 😕 Hopefully there will be a fix for this in the future since the dynamic text is really not useful if it can't be used with component elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am also having this issue. Is there an udpate/fix to this? It's a real shame that this doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinda crazy that this is even an issue.  Components: big value point.  Grids: big value point.  But they don't work when you put them together?  Could this be a bug, not a feature gap?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue too. I was so excited to use the feature that lets you link components to other component states in a prototype, and was going to use that within a repeat grid, but now I can't get the content in there. I even tried manually entering the content but it's updating the text for all components in the grid to be the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, apologies for the delay in responding.

It's interesting what you suggest, howeve, for me, it's certainly not a viable solution because if you ungroup the component....it is no longer a component so you cannot make updates to the master component and see those reflected in the repeat grid. Therefore you're back having to manually update everything independently.

It appears that these are several great features that simply dont work well together,  repeat grid, dynamic (text) data and components.

I really hope that this is on the feature horizon as it's a really common and v.important usecase, available in other tools. For reference have a look at components in Sketch (which i last used about 2 years ago) and how, even then, they could be repeated whilst their individual properties (shapes etc) and content (text / labels etc) are be exposed, really easily overriden and could be bound to data sources (text, JSON etc etc etc).

Super powerful, really accelarated the design process and flow (not without it's own set of issues)....guess I would just love to see some of this in XD. 🤞🤞👍

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sad to see that this is still an issue 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue with latest version. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue as of 11/2/22.  It's a shame that you can't drag and drop multiple assets into components within a repeat grid. Most of the time, I use components with repeat grid, which means I can rarely utilize this feature. Also, it's something you expect to be able to do, so it sort of throws you when only the first component updates. I spent time trying to figure out if there was something wrong with my assets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution I found is:

After the main component was put on a grid:

1) Ungroup any grid where the component is present

2) Select the component you want to change

3) On the right side menu, you'll see under "Component (Instance)" a setting that says "Default State", click on the pen to the right side of it and a new component will be added to your canvas, this component can be modified and will affect all other sub components.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2023 Jun 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thats still un issue...

I'm trying to use a button component that has default/hover/click instances and try to use repeat grid to update the text in each component accordingly but the issue is very much there. I can't ungroup the component couse i'll loose the instances and the text i have to change it very much manualy ( 6btn * 3 instances = 18 times edits and time waste ) so much for productivity using XD ... such a bloody scam... I'm totaly disapointed by this 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines