• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where do we maintain the different versions of an XD file or the history of XD versions?

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a dedicated XD server where we maintain the past versions of an XD file? or they all are saved directly to Creative Cloud location?

TOPICS
Import and export , Open and save docs , Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Make sure you read this to learn more about file versioning. https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/versioning-faq.html

Please note that it says: "Creative Cloud retains versions for a limited time, only deleting them as they age out."

I always like to remind people that for any service (not just Adobe)... cloud documents are not a backup solution. You should keep your own backups, including backups of previous versions that you really want to have.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no ability to use your own XD server, you must use Adobe's Creative Cloud servers.

When saving a file, choose Save to: Cloud Documents. This will save the document to Adobe's servers and maintain the past versions.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Dan. So, all the past versions of an XD file will be stored in a CC location as well right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you read this to learn more about file versioning. https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/versioning-faq.html

Please note that it says: "Creative Cloud retains versions for a limited time, only deleting them as they age out."

I always like to remind people that for any service (not just Adobe)... cloud documents are not a backup solution. You should keep your own backups, including backups of previous versions that you really want to have.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

I'm just discovering that my previous versions are gone. My client has asked if they can review the progress from start to finish. I can no longer provide that.

Would you happen to know if Adobe can access old files? I know it's a long shot. I'm in a tough spot, so gotta ask.

Thank you.

_teunis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Go to https://assets.adobe.com/cloud-documents and click on the file.
  2. On the right, click on the timeline icon (looks sort of like a clock).

If there's any history, it should be visible here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

Thank you for responding. Yes, this is how I discoverd my previous versions were gone. I am just know learning that Adobe kills versions older than 30 days and requires us to specifically "save" versions we want to keep. Honestly, I'm completed baffled by this. And upset. Sure, I guess I should have known... somehow.

Anyways, I was inquiring if there is a way for Adobe to access "removed/deleted" versions? It's a long shot, but I gotta ask. My client is up Schit's Creek right now. And, XD is making me the bad guy.

Thanks again.

_teunis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt Adobe can access deleted versions, but you'd have to contact the official tech support line to verify. 

I'm sorry this had to be a hard lesson for you to learn, but cloud services are not a backup plan. Even if they say they keep unlimited versions (which Adobe does not), unless your data is in multiple places, it's not backed up. So keeping a file only in the cloud has its dangers. What if the servers go down or lose data? Having local and online versions... now that's a backup! If your local computer dies you have the cloud, if the cloud loses a file you have the local version. Everyone needs to learn this, and unfortunately you had to learn it the hard way. I'm sorry about that.

As for Adobe keeping unlimited historical versions, you can imagine the storage costs for everyone's files and versions. I'm not surprised they clean them out every once and a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Teunis,

We are sorry to hear you are unable to see previous version of the files. Would you mind checking in the deleted folder here: https://assets.adobe.com/deleted? If you're unable to find it, please connect with us directly using this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html so that our support team can take a look.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines