• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XD document data lost

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this - I've lost 9 hours of work today on my XD project. I save my work all the time. At the end of the day, I saved & closed. Then I noticed in my file explorer that the date on my project was still from yesterday (wtf??) so I opened it back up and sure enough, EVERYTHING I did today was gone. There is no option to revert, no auto-save, no nothing. And to clarify, the app did NOT crash. I received no indications that anything was wrong. It appeared to be saving all day, although it was clearly not. This is insane. 

{Renamed By MOD}

TOPICS
Data loss

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks Janee for the latest information.

Unfortunately I do not find anything unusual on 27th in your event log - I was hoping some syste-wide errors like file handles running out or whatnot. So basically this means that XD was showing that it was saving while in fact it did not.

One curiosity though, the logs seem to indicate you loaded multiple files with the same name. Is there any chance that the two (or more) files would be sync'ed by some other mechanism outside XD? (e.g. you modified the

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it save to the cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As PH_BrooklynCT suggested, Xd probably saved your file to the cloud. Doesn't it show up in recent documents when you start Xd?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. No, it did not save to the cloud. It shows up in recent documents with the date from the day before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it on cloud can you check if you file sync is on (in your manager preferences)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. Could please confirm if it was a cloud document? If yes, I'd request you to please collect and share system logs by following the steps shared here:  https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html

You can also check if you are able to see the document here: https://assets.adobe.com/cloud-documents

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it was not a cloud document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workstation is Windows10. In file explorer if I look at the "Date Modified" column for my XD project it says 8/26/2020, when it should say 8/27/2020, since I worked on that project ALL DAY on the 27th. 

All of the assets that I created using other Adobe Apps on the 27th are fine and saved as expected, so the problem is definitely isolated to XD. For some reason it's not even showing that I opened the XD project on the 27th. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

I'm sorry to hear that the file was not saved as expected.

In addtion to the log collector mentioned by Rishabh can you also paste this in explorer

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\Adobe.CC.XD_adky2gkssdxte

and attach a zip with the whole LocalState folder?

Thanks,

--

Vlad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. The LocalState .zip folder can be downloaded from the link below:

{link removed by Vlad. G}

Regards,

Janee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Janee,

Downloaded, you may remove the link, I'll get back to you.

Internal bug referece 118919

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a quick scanning of logs I found some access denied errors (but they are on the 30th). Can you check file permissions where you were supposed to be saving?

Are you using Dropbox or another cloud storage provider?

From the zip file you uploaded, can you extract it to another location and try opening 33955d0fb3fbdd28bd908c46d87c25f6/copy.xd ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to open the above referenced copy.xd file. It is the file as it was left on 8/26. None of the work I did with it on 8/27 (about another 15 artboards) is there. 

I have since worked with the file on 8/30.

I save to a local drive, as my client does not prefer Dropbox or any type of cloud storage due to security protocols. I also back up once daily to an encrypted external drive. (I suppose I should do this more often going forward, lol.) I haven't had any problems saving anything to these drives other than with the XD file in question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting, can you share the encrypted external drive technology name? Is the drive NTFS or FAT?

Also, the logs do not contain any references to save on 27th, how did you save, Ctrl-S? Was there any perceived time for the modified file marker (*) to disappear? Did you Save As, or renamed the file externally?

The copy.xd I referenced was the basis of an autorecovery, but since you didn't crashed, it didnt have any other dirty artboards saved along, it was a far shot.

For additional debugging, can you export last 7 days from Event Viewer's Windows Logs/Application?

Let me know if you need guidance with that.

Thanks!

--

Vlad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The external drive is NTFS, although I doubt that is relevant to the issue since I do not work from this drive - I only use it as a backup. 

I work from my local drive, and save using Ctl+S. I'm in the habbit of doing this every 20-30 minutes, or any time I've made significant changes or before I walk away. I hadn't performed as SaveAs or renamed the file. The file was open all day while I worked. I didn't notice anything odd about the performance of the app, or any indicators that the file was not saving each time as normal. I didn't realize there was a problem until after I closed the file for the day, went to copy it to my backup, and noticed that the date was still from the day before. 

Below is the link to the debug info:

https://we.tl/t-5UeChGAiES

Thank you,

Janee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Janee for the latest information.

Unfortunately I do not find anything unusual on 27th in your event log - I was hoping some syste-wide errors like file handles running out or whatnot. So basically this means that XD was showing that it was saving while in fact it did not.

One curiosity though, the logs seem to indicate you loaded multiple files with the same name. Is there any chance that the two (or more) files would be sync'ed by some other mechanism outside XD? (e.g. you modified the backup and it was overwritten).

Thanks,

--

Vlad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking at the event log. That is a great question, and I did check for that once I realized there was a problem with the local copy. In either case, one of the files should have had a timestamp of around 6:30 PM on the 27th. I did open them both that evening in hopes that by some miracle I could locate an updated version of the project. 

I think at this point moving forward I will just close the file often as I work, to confirm it is saving.

Regards,

Janee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I share a similar situation. I have been working on an app project the past few months, and I beleived it was saving the entire time (to the cloud). I exited adobe the other day, and today I have logged back in and it is nowhere to be found. I checked some other accounts, can't find it anywhere. I upgraded to a paid plan as well. What a great start.. 
All I have recovered is a prototype of an older version of my app.
I really need to get the XD file back, surely stuff just doesn't disappear?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I was working all week on a file and today when I open it again there is a version more than 10 days old.
It is not the first time this happens to me. Previously it was stored in cloud and I thought that was it. I changed and started storing it on the local computer but again everything was lost. Even free is expensive
Downloading figma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This happens to me often, so I always create local copies and back up my files while saving while working.  This time, however,  I published while I was working.   The funny thing is The published file has a more up-to-date document than any of the duplicate files, and all backups do.  I saw a blank versioning history from 4:30am until 11:30am.  Last published link was at 9:30 am; but last file with my updates was saved at 4:30am.  All that work gone.  I have checked my logged in ID, l ooked at all back up files, the app did NOT crash. I received NO ERRORS at all while working.  I have no idea what to do. This was a transition of files to client.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines