• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High Application Memory usage while working in XD on macOS Catalina after the update.

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just want to let you know that after updating my XD to the latest version 26.0.22, the app lagged and stuttered. It has slowed down considerably in which opening up 3 files at the same time with around 50 artboards each hogged my memory so much and render it almost unusable. 

I tried to revert back to the previous version but it won't allow me to open the same files anymore, since they were created in the latest XD version. Can you kindly take a look at this problem? Speed of production is really important and it's one of the main reason I switched to XD from other app.

Thank you so much:)

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Crash on mac , Open and save docs , Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear that you've started facing the issue again with high memory consumption while using XD on macOS. We would request you yo please uninstall the application using Adobe Cleaner Tool(https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html)

Once uninstalled, please re-install and check how it works. If this doesn't help, please share a few more details like:

• A screenshot of the About XD info page.
  • The version of the Operating System.
  • Is it sl

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 116 Replies 116
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in response. We will need to get this checked with the Engineering team and we will need a sample file and system logs(https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html)

Please add the file and logs to a DropBox or any other shared storage and you can share the file either here or you can send it privately by clicking on my name. Please add this discussion link in the subject while sending the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the same issue, but about double the memory usage. I notice it mostly on cloud files when co-editing is enabled. On launch, XD is using about 300 MB of memory, when I open a local file, it jumps to around 1GB, and a cloud file jumps to about 2GB. The memory then slowly increases over the course of an hour to 120 GB +

Computer Specs:

macOS Catalina

Macbook Pro 13"

2.8 GHz Quad Core Intel i7

16 GB Memory

Adobe XD Specs:

Version 31.1.12.13

AboutXD.pngXD-ActivityMonitor.pngXD-OpenFilesAndPorts.pngXD-Statistics.png

XD-Memory.png

XD-MemorySample.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble and thanks for sharing the detailed information. Could you please try uninstalling the application using Adobe Cleaner Tool: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Once uninstalled, please re-install the application and let us know how the application works after that.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem and I'm working on a single page XD file with 6 group components...

Regards,

Marta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marta,

We are sorry to hear you are having trouble with XD. Could you please check if the components are large? Please check if reducing the number of nested components and/or number of states in the file helps. 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have been using XD for the past 2 years & in the last few months the performance is gradually getting worse & worse. I have a 182MB project file that's taking several minutes to load & ccan take up to 5 mins to update a share link.

This is almost unusable & we are at a point where we are beginning to consider alternatives to XD. Please could you provide any information on the causes on this performance issue & if a resolution is on the horizion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear that you've started facing the issue again with high memory consumption while using XD on macOS. We would request you yo please uninstall the application using Adobe Cleaner Tool(https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html)

Once uninstalled, please re-install and check how it works. If this doesn't help, please share a few more details like:

• A screenshot of the About XD info page.
  • The version of the Operating System.
  • Is it slow while working on a specific file or multiple files?
  • Are you connected to a private network or a managed network like a work or school network?
  • Is it happening with a cloud file or local file?
  • How many assets or objects is present in the file?
  • Please share the sample file and Adobe logs using this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html and upload it to a shared location such as Creative Cloud or Dropbox and then share the URL with me over a private message.

We will try our best to help.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have tried what you have suggested, which hasnt improved anything. below you will find the information you have requsted on my version of XD + my OS.

its slow working across a number of cloud files, varying in size. i initially thought it was an issue due to the file size & have spent a large amount of time reworking files to reduce their footprint but this hasnt improved anything.

we are all currently working from home, using normal home wifi not connected to any VPN's etc.

Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 12.05.14.pngScreenshot 2020-08-03 at 12.05.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy,

We apologize for the delay in response and thanks for trying the basic troubleshooting steps. I would like to know if this is happening with a specific file or multiple file. In private message you mentioned that you're getting error 47 on a cloud document. Is it the same document on which you're getting error? 

Please generate the logs using this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html and upload it to a shared location such as Creative Cloud or Dropbox and share the URL with me over a private message.

I will try my best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I really like XD, but this is forcing me to try out other platforms for my next project. It is so frustrating! XD also lags when I work with files saved locally on my mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XD seems to be eating up so much memory and stutters while previewing after I updated to version 31.1.12 . I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing this. I had to force quit XD because it hugged about 109GB of memory!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please confirm if it consumes high memory usage while working on a specific file or multiple files? If it happens on a specific file, will it be possible for you to share the file with us? If yes, please add the file in shared cloud storage and you can DM the link to me by clicking on my name. If it's happening while working on multiple files, I'd request you to please uninstall the application using https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

After uninstalling the application please re-install and check how it works.

Note: While sending a DM, please add this discussion link in the subject.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am also experiencing the same issues, across my team. we have a new starter who has been with us less than a month who is also suffering from the same problems of poor performance. This is across projects aswell so not just a single cloud file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear you are having trouble using XD. Would you mind sharing the information asked by Rishabh along with the OS and XD version of your machine to either of us over a private message?

We will try our best to help.

Note: Please make sure to share the URL of the post over a PM for reference.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i built a Navigation Bar for an upcoming Project and the Filesize of the saved .xd file is huge (around 30mb) after i created some components. I cant figure out why- maybe someone can help? Im very thankful for help -especially because it slows xd down a lot and i cant start to build the site like that bc it wil be GB afterwards... thank you

PS: Cant upload the XD file as there is an error "The attachment's testxd.xd content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed." So i uploaded pngs of the menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally the size of files increase as you import pixel-based graphics. I saw one in your screenshot, do you have a lot more? 30mb isn't that big after importing multiple graphics, but if you mainly have text and vector shapes made in XD it shouldn't be that big.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. the graphics are svgs and i have several documents with them inside that are still super small, so its not that i guess. I really would like to send the file to show you but it wasnt possible to upload the xd file as said...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chriistopher,

Sorry for the delay in response. You may upload the file to a shared location such as Creative cloud or Drobox and share the URL with me over a private message. Please share the OS and XD version of your machine.

I will try my best to help.

Note: Please make sure to add the URL of this post over a PM for reference.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe XD Upload SLOW

The upload speed to Adobe XD is extremely slow (Prior it worked fine). For more than a week now, it is taking me more than half an hour to update a prototype porject (17.84 MB).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please share a few more details like:

1. The version of XD and the Operating System.
  2. Is it slow while updating a file and saving the progress on a cloud file or it's slow while updating a published link?
  3. Is it happening with this specific file or with other files as well?
  4. Are you connected to a private network or a managed network like a work or school network?

We're here to help, just need more info.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

OS Catalina 10.15.6
Latest version of XD

It's slow while updating my private link. When trying to update my
"Published" Prototype.
This is my only file right now, It's slow while updating my published link.
I am connected to my home network.

Thanks,
Mike B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

i've noticied that Adobe XD has been using ridiculously high amounts of memory to run, when i have a single work space, with only text (as seen on screenshot) since like three days ago

18go+screen.png to keep a single file/single work space open with no images, animations or anything beside text? what is this madness?

please help me fix this massive problem that is slowing my computer down and messing simple text editing

version : 31.2.12.4

mcbook pro 15 / 16go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. If it's happening while working on a specific file, will it be possible for you to share the file? If it's happening on multiple files, please try uninstalling the application using Adobe Cleaner tool: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Once uninstalled, please re-install and check how it works. If it is still slow, please share a sample file and 

system logs by following the steps shared here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html

we will escalate it further.

Note: To share the file, please add it to any shared location like DropBox and you can DM the link by clicking on my name. Please add this discussion link in the subject.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi and thanks for your reply
as i have some urgent work, i'll wait a bit before uninstalling it, but i
can send you the file attached in this mail. It is not specific to this
file tho, it does the same with pretty much any file i have. It is the same
behaviour even when editing a graphic heavy prototyp. But i mean, come on,
this has only text and as soon as i open any xd file, it immediately start
eating up all of the memory, effectively slowing down my
(reasonably powerful) laptop. It all goes back to normal when i close XD
(or sometimes force quit it because it freezes)
i keep XD and creative cloud updated constantly

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 1399-05-21 at 12.14.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines