• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

XD to After Effects Problem

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to export anything from XD to AE (after Effects) it never shows up. I have tried a bunch of different ways: object, text, AE open, AE closed, AE project open, exporting whole artboard and just one object. It will open AE but other than that nothing happens. Im I not doing something Right?

I'm on  window if that matters.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

The export to After Effects is based on an After Effects plugin that is being installed along with Adobe XD. The behaviour you're encountering is as if the plugin would be missing.

Can you please check if you have a file named AEXD.aex under %PROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\Public? If you're using a private release of XD the last part of the path would be \Private.

If the plugin is missing you could try reinstalling Adobe XD, though I'd be very interested on any particularities o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Hi All,

Thanks for reaching out. I would like to update this most viewed conversation in order to provide the latest information on the workflow.

Here’s how it works:
1. In XD, select the layers or artboards you want to animate in After Effects.
2. Go to File> Export > After Effects. If After Effects is not installed on your machine, this option is greyed out. You can also use the ⌥⌘F (Mac), or Ctrl+Alt+F (Windows) keyboard shortcuts.
3. The selected layers or artboards are added as native shap

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fungis07,

Sorry that you are unable to export to Adobe After Effects. Could you please share the version of Adobe After Effects which you are using? I would also like to know the OS version that you are working on right now.

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Windows 10

After Effects is on 16.0.0 (Build 235))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the time that Atul gets back to you, can you have a look at this doc? Supported features when you export to After Effects

It looks like you have tried this process, but can you confirm? If the export operation fails, restart Adobe XD and After Effects apps and re-export the assets.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Just tried it again nothing.

I even made a new file today just to try it again with only 4 plain text and 2 rectangles 1 circle.

Once I try exporting it once it locks that button (grays it out) and to unlock it i have to restart. photo below.

Capture01.PNG

Capture02.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fungis07, export to After Effects is supported only with After Effects CC 2018 and 2019 versions. If you have an older version installed, Export to After Effects option is disabled in XD. To enable this option, log into your Creative Cloud application and update After Effects to the latest version.

Here more information on this: Bring assets from other applications into Adobe XD.

Please update this discussion in case you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest of all Applications. I posted the version i have???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the details about the version of Adobe After effect which you are using. Could you please upload the file to CC or Dropbox and share the link with us so that we may assist you appropriately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing special about this file. like i said i made it just for testing this.

Dropbox - Untitled.xd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So update to the problem. I have now tried it on my work computer With also a new file in XD. It will open After Effects but none of the assets will appear.

I have to be missing something here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The export to After Effects is based on an After Effects plugin that is being installed along with Adobe XD. The behaviour you're encountering is as if the plugin would be missing.

Can you please check if you have a file named AEXD.aex under %PROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\Public? If you're using a private release of XD the last part of the path would be \Private.

If the plugin is missing you could try reinstalling Adobe XD, though I'd be very interested on any particularities of the initial setup that led to this situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok sorry it took so long to check this.

I just have a file in

%PROGRAMFILES%\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\

called dummy.txt

witch contains this

#Dummy file installed in the MediaCore folder.

i will uninstall and reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow That worked thank you so much!

I guess I should of just uninstalled it and reinstalled it on my own. With it was not working on 3 separate computers with different Install dates (one was the version right before this feature was added). I figured it was something else

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very glad the problem is now solved!

It would be very useful for us to understand the context in which your initial setup didn't install the plugin. Can you please answer the questions below:

1. Were you using a private (pre-release) or public version of Adobe XD?

2. Did you install Adobe XD through the Creative Cloud desktop application or other means?

3. Did you make a fresh install of the application or an upgrade? If it was an upgrade, do you remember what was the version from which you upgraded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this program on 3 windows 10 computers. I signed up for the beta program as soon as i could for windows I was on the mailing list. but at some point I upgraded to CC from CS 6 Last year and reinstalled all my Adobe programs.

1. Home and Work were running XD since... the earliest file i made with it was from 2/21/17

my laptop was October I think.

2. Home and work were downloaded from adobe website in the beta program then from Creative Cloud desktop application when I upgraded from CS 5

Laptop was installed from Creative Cloud desktop application.

3. I think They were all fresh installs from Creative Cloud desktop application the day it was included then just updated when ever they came out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem but i have the AEXD.aex file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks for reaching out. I would like to update this most viewed conversation in order to provide the latest information on the workflow.

Here’s how it works:
1. In XD, select the layers or artboards you want to animate in After Effects.
2. Go to File> Export > After Effects. If After Effects is not installed on your machine, this option is greyed out. You can also use the ⌥⌘F (Mac), or Ctrl+Alt+F (Windows) keyboard shortcuts.
3. The selected layers or artboards are added as native shapes, texts, assets, and nested compositions in your AE project.

Here’s the list with what’s supported and not supported at this time: https://helpx.adobe.com/ro/xd/kb/open-after-effects-files-in-xd.html

Please let us know if you're still experiencing the issue.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This may be late but for anyone who's still having this issue after trying all the other advices, try reinstalling after effects or using a different version of after effect.

Although this may seem like one of the previous suggestion but some people (like me) may not want to download the latest version of after effects probably due to incompartibility with their device. So this is just to let anyone know that any other version of after effect from CC 2018 upwards. This should work if the other methods doesn't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines