• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CRASH - Script' write to network' files fails to correctly allow access to files/folders

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Trying to use a script that uses 'write to network feature' in preferecnes. 

2. Noticed that after check box has been ticked in prefences in AE it hasn't made the correct 'network volumes' on the Mac - Privacy settings under files and folders

Result: ...AE hangs
Expected: ...Opens script up as normal.

System info
    Application: After Effects (Beta) v22.1.0.50
    OS: macOS v12.0.1, RAM: 64.00 GB GB, CPUs (logical): 10

TOPICS
Bug , Crash , Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MotionMarble.com,

Thank you for reporting this issue. If you could answer the following questions, it would help us get a better understanding of the issue and what you're seeing:

• What is the name of the script you are using? Was it written by you or by someone else?
  • Does the script specifically require network access for its functionality or does it more generically ask for the "Allow Script to Write Files and Access Network" preference to be enabled?
  • Were you prompted by macOS to allow AE (Beta) to access network volumes?
  • Once you allowed AE (Beta) to access network volumes, did the issue still occur?

Thanks again for reporting and for any additional information you can offer,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

• brand new install of AE.
  • Some scripts work and others don't - Think it's because it doesn't have access - so AE hangs.
  • So I used one script first time when it asked me to enable 'write files' so ticked box and then it hangs. Doesn't allow me to to do anything else. I restarted and wen run a script that uses that feature it hangs just hangs. Tick box is still check.
  • Manually checking of box on and off doesn't resolve issue.
  • Can't remember if MacOS prompt came up to allow access
  • This also is happening on Beta and Latest version of AE. Both hang and becomes unresponsive.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted the privacy files/folders access for AE on the System Preferences. Tried to select the 'Write Files' tick box but it is still ticked. So unticked and restarted and then ticked it again. No system popups came up but just docuemnts added to the list. (Same as previous screenshot)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, I've reinstalled but the problem perists. No MacOS prompt came up except when I removed the access to the 'Files & Folders' section (See screenshot)  Plugins that have always worked now doesn't. FoxReveal, RayDymanic Colour and more that use this feature.

I'll need to try the 2021 version out on this new macbook to see if that fixes the issue. If it doesn't then is it specifically the new MacOS stopping the access to the netwrok volumes etc for the scripts/plugins to be able to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so installed AE 2021 - same thing is happening. I am unable to get the scripts to work? So something has changed with the MacOS that has interupted this process.

Happy to take a call to demonstrate as my plugins aren't working now means I have a very expensive brick on my hands that I am unable to use.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, any news on this issue? Just crashes my plugins I use. Any advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JOHN I FOUND THE BUG:

It happens when I select the tickbox After Effects just crashes. I have done a screen record here:

https://we.tl/t-t5SibaFeVb

PLEASE HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MotionMarble.com,

Thanks so much for this extra information and the screen recording. We haven't yet been able to repro this issue on our own testing machines running macOS 12, but we are continuing to test and see if we can find the triggering factor. If we find a workaround or the specific trigger, we can reply here to let you know.

Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting in touch. Does this help identify the issue?

New user it works and gets passed the previous point where it crashed. Core Sync (MacOS) pops came up where this doesn't happen on the current user. So hopefully this pin points the issue on my current user account where it fails to give access to Core Sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MotionMarble.com,

We've recieved another report that appears to be this same issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/after-effects-beta-won-t-load-any-jsxb... 

That forum post has a link to an aescripts post with a potential workaround for the hangs: https://aescripts.com/knowledgebase/index/view/faq/scripts-crashing-in-macos-monterey/

Would you give this a try and see if it allow you to avoid the hang when opening scripts?

Thanks very much,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for this. I created a new user on my mac as Admin and installed AE and it got past the hang.

So wiped the whole machine and started again. That was the only fix and never really got to the bottom as to why it happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources