Contributor ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steps to reproduce:
1. create a new comp (command+n)

2. create a solid (command+y)

3. undo/redo 2x
Result: Solid takes .5, 1, then more than 15 seconds to appear in the new comp. 

System info
    Application: After Effects (Beta) v22.4.0.32
    OS: macOS v12.2.1, RAM: 64.00 GB GB, CPUs (logical): 10

Here's a video. You can jump about halfway through to see the 15 second delay. I wiggle the cursor around while waiting more than 15 seconds for the solid to show up.

Solid Creation Delay 

Anyone else getting this? Please let me know if there is any way I can help. Also check my profile for other AE Beta bug reports. Thanks!

Benjamin

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Question

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BGPictures,

Thanks very much for reporting this issue. Do you still see this occurring in the latest Beta builds? The latest should be version 22.4.0.36. I'm not able to repro the delay when creating a Solid in the latest builds on an M1 Mac running the same macOS 12.2.1.

If you continue to experience the delay, would you be able to capture an application log and share it with us? Use the following steps to enable logging and find the logged .txt files:

1. Choose "Enable Logging" in the Help menu, which will prompt you to quit and relaunch AE (Beta).
  2. Quit and relaunch AE (Beta).
  3. Perform the same actions you have in the Solid Creation Delay video ( thank you for this video btw, this is vital to help us understand the issue ).
  4. Choose "Reveal Logging File" in the Help menu, which will open several Finder windows.
  5. Please share the "After Effects (Beta) Log.txt" which should be revealed in a "logs" folder. That is the only file we need at this point, you can ignore the other Finder windows.

Thanks again for reporting and for any further information,
    - John, After Effects Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JohnColombo . Thanks so much for looking into this. I updated to 22.4.0.36 and was able to reproduce the problem and have attached the log file. Glad the screencapture was helpful. I've uploaded another video which shows the same problem -- this new screencapture was also created while the attached log file was captured... in case that is helpful.

I'm loving the responsiveness of the beta overall. This solid problem (and the slight delay when undoing it) as well as the "Cached Preview needs 2 or more frames to playback" bug are my biggest challenges with my current hardware/os. I'll tag you in the preview post as well, but basically what I thought was an old problem returning by opening an older project in the new beta -- is actually reproducable with a new test user, test project, and test comp.

I've been using AE since it's CoSA days (so have probably learned a lot of bad habits 😉 but do try to follow all recs of dedicated cache drive, etc. Thanks again, and please let me know if there is any way I can help.

Best,

Benjamin

details again for your convenience: 

Application: After Effects (Beta) v22.4.0.36

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Adobe After Eeffects team! Just downloaded AE (Beta) 22.4.0 (Build 41) And am no longer encountering the solid creation bug on my sytem.

Application: After Effects (Beta) v22.4.0.41

Best,

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon. Though solid creation bug wasn't evident in a new project, when I added a solid to an existing project, the delay returned. Is there a way to mark my above answer "not correct"? The bug still exists. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BGPictures,

Thanks very much for that log file, we will have our team take a look at it. In your screen recording, I see you have the new Properties panel open when creating the Solids. If you close the Properties panel, does the delay still occur?

Additionally, do you have any other scripts or third-party plug-ins installed? Some of these constantly "ping" the app for status and it can cause slowdowns like the one you are seeing.

Thanks again,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JohnColombo . No scripts or third-party plugins. I did have Duik bassel 2, but removed it from the scriptUI pannel folder... and then turned off "Allow scripts to write files..." in AE prefs, but unfortunately got the same solid creation delay results with a fresh project. Then I did the following with the same solid delay results:

• closed Properties panel

• closed all panels except for project, timeline and comp

• turned off Disk Cache in prefs

• reset Comformed Media Cache locations from fast external drive to default path

• upgraded to After Effects (Beta) v22.4.0.46
• restarted computer, turned off wifi, and only ran AE (beta)

- I'll try upgrading my OS from 12.2.1 to 12.3.1 and report back

Thanks again!

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JohnColombo . I updated to Mac OS 12.3.1 and encountered the same solid creation delay. Please let me know if there are other steps to take to help solve this.

Thanks!

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just saw that After Effects (Beta) v22.5.0.1 was available. I upgraded, restarted and got the same solid creation delay after about 10 solid creations / undos. Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JohnColombo . Taking 22.5.0.18 for a spin. And have noticed another bug where a new comp shows previous comp's video until I click on the interface -- possibly related to the solid creation problem discussed earlier or is this a separate bug? I do remember this kind of bug in other beta versions over the past few months, but this is the first time I have documented it with video.

thanks!

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

System info
    Application: After Effects (Beta) v22.5.0.18
    OS: macOS v12.3.1, RAM: 64.00 GB GB, CPUs (logical): 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources