• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RotoBrush 2 Selection Expansion issue

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I try to use Rotobrush 2, the selection constantly expands after a few frames until it selects the whoel screen.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

I tried 4 different videos and reinstalled After Effects, but it behaves the same as well.

Furthermore, it also sometimes yield the error message : Unkown Exception too.

Any help on why this tool is behaving this way would help a lot.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Updating here for anyone googling the same issue. Managed to solve it by underclocking my RTX 2070 through the Aorus Engine app. So basically reduced the clock speed a bit and that solved all of my problems. Buying a new graphics card anyway since obviously something must have degraded in the card - just ran it on default clock values before.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RotoBrush 1,0 works for me, but 2.0 still not working whenever I try to use it : X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yeow Kiat Chia,

Thank you for reporting this issue, and sorry to see this is happening when you use Roto Brush 2. Since this is occuring with multiple videos, it seems like there may be either a system incompatiblity or a bug in how Roto Brush is processing propagated frames.

• What are your system specs? Operating system version, hardware, RAM, GPU, etc.
  • What were the resolutions of the various videos you have tried? Does a smaller resolution video exhibit the same problem?

Thanks very much for any additional information you can provide as we attempt to diagnose what is happening.

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same thing happening, it switches from what I have Rotobrushed to full Frame Selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mw21146471,

Sorry to see that you are experiencing this issue as well. Please post your system specs, perhaps there will something in common between your system and @Yeow Kiat Chia's which could be a potential cause. Also, take a look at the steps for log collection that I've outlined below. If you are able to, please submit those logs and screen recording to rotobeta@adobe.com

Thank you for reporting this issue and for using After Effects (Beta),

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.System Specs:

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor 3.00 GHz
  • Ram: 40 GB
  • AMD Radeon (TM) RX 560 Series (Version 20.11.3)

2. I tried with resolutions (1080p, 720p, 400p, etc.) and the issue persists. Typically, AE will hang for a moment, my screen will flicker, and then, when it's responsive again, I'll see this error message:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Yeow Kiat Chia Thank you for your system specs and the answer about video resolutions. This isn't an issue we are seeing internally and the cause is not immediately apparent from your system specs. Two things would help as we continue to investigate:

1. A screen recording of the steps you take to apply Roto Brush and attempt to propagate the frames.
  2. An application log created by doing the following:
    1. In the Help menu, select "Enable Logging" which will prompt you to save and close After Effects.
    2. After re-opening After Effects, attempt to use Roto Brush by applying it to any footage layer and propagating the selection.
    3. Go to Edit > Preferences > General, then click "Reveal Preferences in Explorer"
    4. In the opened folder, there should now be a "logs" folder which contains an "After Effects (Beta) Log.txt" file. Please send this .txt to rotobeta@adobe.com.

Thanks in advance for your time and for any assistance you can give as we try to track down this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I have the exact same issue. Have used Rotobrush 2.0 a lot but suddenly it's expanding in that weird way.

Have tried: Resetting preferences, rolling back to previous AE versions, rolling back graphics drivers, different kinds of footage etc. Have noticed the "Best" quality setting starts expanding earlier than "Standard".

Specs:

Windows 10 (v1903)

After Effects 17.6

Intel 9900k 3.60ghz

Geforce RTX 2070

64gb ram

Did you find any solution to this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @martinf15146508,

I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing this issue. We still have not been able to reproduce this problem in-house, even with the details from @Yeow Kiat Chia above. From the specs you posted ( thank you for those ), I don't see much in common between your specs and the others who are experiencing this same issue.

Was Roto Brush 2.0 working for you prior to installing After Effects 17.6? But now those previous versions are not working even after rolling back to previous AE versions?

Thank you for any additional information,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, John!

Yes 2.0 was working great, have used it extensively. I can't be 100% sure that it was the 17.6 update that introduced this (it could've been graphic drivers update etc) but since installing it Rotobrush 2.0 has been like this. I've tried rolling back to all versions dating back to when 2.0 was introduced and always with this same result.

Should I do a clean reinstall of After Effects? Been trying to avoid that (lots of plugins, extensions to reinstall) but don't see another solution.

Thank you so much for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @martinf15146508,

An incompatible GPU driver sounds like the most likely culprit since all versions of AE exhibit the same problem ( including versions that previously worked ). What is your driver version for the Geforce RTX 2070? And does your Intel CPU have an integrated GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that was my thinking as well, so I tried rolling back to an old driver version (456.71) that was working with Rotobrush previously but the problem remains. So neither new drivers or old drivers work. I used a tool called DDU to completely uninstall any trace of the graphic drivers before rolling back.

My i9900k does have an integrated GPU (although I had to look it up, didn't know that) so I will look into updating the drivers for that. Next step will probably be to format and reinstall Windows 10...

Thanks for the support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey again, just a small update: I formatted and reinstalled a clean Windows 10, graphic drivers I knew worked before and After Effects 17.6. The problem remains. I have however noticed that other applications (high end games mainly) are crashing more and After Effects is now acting strange in general; sluggish, viewport slow to render, freezing up etc. I'm guessing hardware issues and probably not AE related. I'm also guessing that the machine learning algoritm in Rotobrush 2.0 is using the GPU (while 1.0 probably uses CPU?) and so the problem probably lies within my GPU. Will try to run AE with only integrated motherboard graphics and see what happens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating here for anyone googling the same issue. Managed to solve it by underclocking my RTX 2070 through the Aorus Engine app. So basically reduced the clock speed a bit and that solved all of my problems. Buying a new graphics card anyway since obviously something must have degraded in the card - just ran it on default clock values before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just echoing the answer above, I downloaded the Aorus Engine app and reduced the Clock Speed a bit as well, and yes, the issue was solved for me as well! Thanks for updating us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources